• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ST 103...ANOTHER GRADING CONTEST! GUESS THE CGC GRADE!

32 posts in this topic

I guess no one is going to crack the 6.0 grade guess barrier...

I knew this one would be a m-f-er :o ...gift grade/new label??...cover is super clean except top spine corner little chip...CGC grade throws me on this one...it's a perfect book for my 6.0-ish focus for these but I'd be hard-pressed to give this a 6.5 if I was grading raw...in hand, for me, I'd go 5.5... (shrug)

The "stains" are really more like severe tanning splotches...not sure how that enters the equation...still...maybe CGC graded this one in the bag and never flipped over to the back cover... :insane: Still when you think of this as being a 3 grade average...was everyone a 6.5 or was there a 7.0 or higher to offset a grade lower than 5.5??

This would've made a great larger grading contest book to see how many people would've been derailed on it... :tonofbricks:

STRANGETALES103CGC65OW.jpg

absolute gift grade

I knew this one would be a m-f-er :o ...gift grade/new label??...cover is super clean except top spine corner little chip...CGC grade throws me on this one...it's a perfect book for my 6.0-ish focus for these but I'd be hard-pressed to give this a 6.5 if I was grading raw...in hand, for me, I'd go 5.5... (shrug)

The "stains" are really more like severe tanning splotches...not sure how that enters the equation...still...maybe CGC graded this one in the bag and never flipped over to the back cover... :insane: Still when you think of this as being a 3 grade average...was everyone a 6.5 or was there a 7.0 or higher to offset a grade lower than 5.5??

This would've made a great larger grading contest book to see how many people would've been derailed on it... :tonofbricks:

absolute gift grade

Well...it is the HOLIDAYS! :baiting:

Actually this book was graded in April of this year = not a holiday gift.

Scans usually accentuate tanning and color related flaws but those BC stains have to be for real.

Did you submit it Tom ? If so, did you expect it to grade well ? If not, why would anybody submit this book.

Scans usually accentuate tanning and color related flaws but those BC stains have to be for real.

Did you submit it Tom ? If so, did you expect it to grade well ? If not, why would anybody submit this book.

I bought it off eBay as a slabbed book...BC scan from the auction didn't look as prominent...see below...and yes, my scanner has GREATLY exagerated the darkness of the scans...they are soft cream compared to a dark brown...I'm OK with the book...it's crease-free basically...the top spine corner chip and the dust shadow splotches are the biggest detriments...and there's a light dust shadow FC on the top right edge...

e39b.jpg

One thing for sure,that statement is wrong in regards to CGC's final grade.It is not "an average" of the 3 graders,but is what the "final grader" assigns.Book could have graded a 6.0/6.0/6.5 and recieved the 6.5 from the finalizer,as seen in the SS AF15 grade drop info provided by CGC in that thread.The 3 grades assigned each time were not equal to an "average" of the assessed grade,but the assigned grade was what was determined by the "final grader".

I just wanted to bring that up,incase you were under the impression that "average" of the 3 had any bering,apparently it doesn't.Final grader has the last say,at least from what this shows,on the second time the book was graded,it had a 6.0/6.0/5.5 and recieved the 5.5 grade.

"1st time book grades a 6.0, the graders are at 6, 6.5, 6

2nd time book grades a 5.5, the graders are at 6, 6, 5.5

3rd time book grades a 6.0, the graders are at 6, 6, 5.5/6, 6"

I bought it off eBay as a slabbed book...BC scan from the auction didn't look as prominent...see below...and yes, my scanner has GREATLY exagerated the darkness of the scans...they are soft cream compared to a dark brown...I'm OK with the book...it's crease-free basically...the top spine corner chip and the dust shadow splotches are the biggest detriments...and there's a light dust shadow FC on the top right edge...

e39b.jpg

Based off of that picture (which I believed you said was the one from eBay) it doesn't even look like the same BC from the one you initially posted.

Those really look like stains to me...

Weird.

Based off of that picture (which I believed you said was the one from eBay) it doesn't even look like the same BC from the one you initially posted.

Weird.

It is weird. I think it's the same back cover as pictured in the E-Bay scan owing to the placement of the two teensy dings on the top BC edge over the "cloud". It's got me wondering whether the stains may have been Photoshopped out of the E-Bay scan. I also admit to being surprised at the strongness of the grade in light of the cumulative defects and the serious BC stains apparent from Tom's scan.

Weird.

It is weird. I think it's the same back cover as pictured in the E-Bay scan owing to the placement of the two teensy dings on the top BC edge over the "cloud". It's got me wondering whether the stains may have been Photoshopped out of the E-Bay scan. I also admit to being surprised at the strongness of the grade in light of the cumulative defects and the serious BC stains apparent from Tom's scan.

They look like the same BC in all other respects, though it is odd that the bottom cover stains look about the same, but the top ones are not even visible in the ebay scan, though playing with contrast and brightness can do a lot to change the look of a scan without even getting into photoshopping, and I've seen discoloration "magically" appear in a scan, when I never even noticed it on the book itself, then double checked and seen that while there is a slight imperfection in hand, it looks nothing like the scan.