• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big John Buscema & Alex Schomburg

25 posts in this topic

40 years from now some iconic artist will be asked about Neal Adams "Neal who? Never heard of him" It's all cyclical

Blasphemy! :sumo:

I know of at least one "hot" artist who hadn't even seen any of Neal's work. He told me so in the old Marvel Comics chat on AOL about 5 years ago.

Another artist who was a regular in the chat was extremely ignorant of comics history and had zero interest in anything that had come before when he started in the biz.

Around 1977, I met George Perez at a Creation Con in NYC. I asked him to do a sketch of Aragon from Lord of The Rings and he had never heard of the guy. Asked him to draw Capt Marvel Jr and he said he didn't know him either. Asked for a sketch of Ferro Lad and drew a blank on that one. Asked if he knew Adam Warlock and he drew me a kickass sketch that I still have.

40 years from now some iconic artist will be asked about Neal Adams "Neal who? Never heard of him" It's all cyclical

Blasphemy! :sumo:

I know of at least one "hot" artist who hadn't even seen any of Neal's work. He told me so in the old Marvel Comics chat on AOL about 5 years ago.

Another artist who was a regular in the chat was extremely ignorant of comics history and had zero interest in anything that had come before when he started in the biz.

You'd think that even the most uninterested of artists would have some grounding in the history of the medium, as there has to be some kind of impetus or trigger that got them doing such work in the first place. It's not exactly a vast history that stretches back eons. A half hour lecture would be enough.

Unlike rock guitarists who are totally into the music of their forebears....