• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, THAT tears it!!

9 posts in this topic

Can someone please tell where to get the auction sniping software everyone is so fond of??!!

I don't mind losing auctions, but losing by 50 cents is Really starting to bum me out!!!!

Please Help 893frustrated.gif

yeah, but it still means I was only bidding against 1 guy. And I can beat him!!

smirk.gif

It depends on what his max bid was. You may not have been able to beat him. If there is a book I want I will bid much higher than necessary to prevent sniping. For example if there is a book at $25 and I really want it, I will bid $100. Although I will be the winner most times, I will only beat the previous bid by a small amount, so it would appear I only bid slightly over.

Sniping software isn't going to help you. You don't need to bid closer to the end of the auction, you just need to bid a higher amount. You're just too cheap. Has nothing to do with when you placed the bid. If you bid $100 over the current bid, within the last minute, you should win 99% of your auctions. smile.gif

yeah, but it still means I was only bidding against 1 guy. And I can beat him!!

smirk.gif

It depends on what his max bid was. You may not have been able to beat him. If there is a book I want I will bid much higher than necessary to prevent sniping. For example if there is a book at $25 and I really want it, I will bid $100. Although I will be the winner most times, I will only beat the previous bid by a small amount, so it would appear I only bid slightly over.

Gah! It's all good until the other guy does the same thing. Then you have a $25 book you're into for $95.

you guys missed my subtlety. (it doesn't surface often)

I meant I WILL beat the one guy. Often to disastrous results...like the $95 for the $25 example.

I'm a seller's wet dream sometimes...

The best thing about auction sniping software is that it helps me to stick to my budget for purchases. I find that I no longer get into bidding wars with people because I decide how much I am willing to pay for something, set the snipe, then forget about the item until the auction is over. If it is an item that I absolutely must win (like the Sienkiewicz original art I won last week) then I might watch the auction as it progresses and maybe up my snipe amount if I think it'll be inadequate. As it worked out, I never had to up my bid on the Sienkiewicz piece, and my $700 snipe wound up winning the book for $418. If I had simply bid $700 instead of placing the snipe, I truly believe that I would have wound up paying at least $600 for that piece of art, maybe more.

And for the record, I use the software that rob_react recommended, Auction Magic, by Merlin Software.

you guys missed my subtlety. (it doesn't surface often)

I meant I WILL beat the one guy. Often to disastrous results...like the $95 for the $25 example.

I'm a seller's wet dream sometimes...