• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ultimate Christmas comic

51 posts in this topic

Interesting that DC discontinued the annual Rudolph books just before the TV special made the character more popular than ever. I guess shifting tastes in the comic buying public made the title seem less viable (at least until the Bronze Age treasuries came along). I does seem that the peak of interest in Christma/Santa themed comics (especially giveaways) was during the 1950s.

Interesting that DC discontinued the annual Rudolph books just before the TV special made the character more popular than ever. I guess shifting tastes in the comic buying public made the title seem less viable (at least until the Bronze Age treasuries came along). I does seem that the peak of interest in Christma/Santa themed comics (especially giveaways) was during the 1950s.

It my have been a licensing thing, maybe they didnt want DC publishing a comic since they were developing a TV show that was completly different, don't know, just a guess.

I was at a comic show this weekend and I saw A Rudolph 1962-63 edition

it was about an 9.0 condition with a "$500" price tag...

I had no idea these commanded such $$$.

Was this just over priced or does the "rare" ness justify the price?

hm

hm

That book is considered the toughest 80 pager to get in any grade, and rare in high grade. While $500 seems like a fair price, there aren't many folks who would lay that kind of money down for a non super-hero DC. But yes, it is rare in that shape.Current census shows a 8.0 as highest and only 5 graded overall.

hm

That book is considered the toughest 80 pager to get in any grade, and rare in high grade. While $500 seems like a fair price, there aren't many folks who would lay that kind of money down for a non super-hero DC. But yes, it is rare in that shape.

I'd love to have a copy of that in 9.0.

hm

That book is considered the toughest 80 pager to get in any grade, and rare in high grade. While $500 seems like a fair price, there aren't many folks who would lay that kind of money down for a non super-hero DC. But yes, it is rare in that shape.

I'd love to have a copy of that in 9.0.

Just put it this way, the book that Shelton had (that he said comes from a new pedigree

that he found???)

When I looked at it, I would say it was a solid 9.0, but it does have some odd

non-moisture created waves/pressuring on the cover that looks like it come from production.

Why I say it is a production is because I would think pressure of that magnitude would

usually cause the staples to be pronounce.

But it you want to see it, I would say contact him. I think he told me he signed up here on CGC

a few weeks ago.

hm

When I looked at it, I would say it was a solid 9.0, but it does have some odd

non-moisture created waves/pressuring on the cover that looks like it come from production.

Why I say it is a production is because I would think pressure of that magnitude would usually cause the staples to be pronounce.

Probably too much glue used on the spine. I read somewhere, probably Comic Book Marketplace years ago, that excessive glue can cause this type of rippling/waviness.

But it you want to see it, I would say contact him. I think he told me he signed up here on CGC a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the heads up but $500 is more than I'm willing to pay.