• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can mylar be too tight?

17 posts in this topic

Perhaps an odd question. Is there any concern over a mylar being too tight?

I've been working on a project to slowly move my books into 4m Mylar D. I prefer the Bill Cole Time Loks due to the nice big 1" flap. I'm using the 7 3/4 x 10 3/4 size bags with a 24 mil thick acid free buffered backing board (Half Back from E. Gerber).

There's actually lots of room in the bag for the book yet it still fits snug. When looking at the bagged book from the flat side you can see the bottom edge of the book being compressed due to its proximity to the bottom crease of the bag. Usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch from the bottom edge. You get a similar effect from the top when the flap is pinched shut.

Is there any reason to be concerned with that compression? I'm just worried about stress over time. I've included an image to illustrate my query.

I should probably not worry too much as more avid collectors than I rely on mylar. I'm about ready to bag some of my best books ( for example the double size ASM #300 in very high grade) and wanted an opinion.

mylar-compression.png

I think so. I've started bagging and boarding all my keepers in large GA mylars and backing boards. The more crumple room the better and I believe my collection will store better if all the bags and boards are the same.

Here is a wonderful thread on mylars and backing boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3413482

I came to the conclusion that extra width in the mylar is a good thing for exactly the reason you describe. My wife is an archivist and said that collection items are usually kept in mylar with 'plenty of room'.

As well, getting the book in and out is much less fraught that way. My books are mostly GA size and I use the 8.25" bags, which I think is Gerber's widest.

I've been working on a project to slowly move my books into 4m Mylar D. I prefer the Bill Cole Time Loks due to the nice big 1" flap. ).

I personally think these are the worst mylars there are. Trying to get a book in and out of these while holding that flap out of the way is asking for trouble. I used these for a while but found better alternatives without the headache of the flap, at a much more reasonable price. Just my 2c though.

DR.X

Humantorch - Thanks for the link that's a great article. I'm using silver/golden age size Mylars. My concern is not the width - I find the 7 3/4 width gives plenty of side to side room.

Its the height and even if I had a bag taller than 10 3/4" gravity would still be the factor here as the bottom of the book works to snug itself close to the seam over time.

I think so. I've started bagging and boarding all my keepers in large GA mylars and backing boards. The more crumple room the better and I believe my collection will store better if all the bags and boards are the same.

Here is a wonderful thread on mylars and backing boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3413482

I'm with you Dave. GA mylars with plenty of room is the best. I've even been thinking of going with GA my-lites on some books just to keep them safe from the elements but looking really good at the same time. I don't want any part of my books being pinched or pressured by a mylar thats too small.

I use 3-mil GA mylars from Bill Cole.....but I wouldn't touch the ones with the flaps for anything. Those things are dangerous !!

Humantorch - Thanks for the link that's a great article. I'm using silver/golden age size Mylars. My concern is not the width - I find the 7 3/4 width gives plenty of side to side room.

Its the height and even if I had a bag taller than 10 3/4" gravity would still be the factor here as the bottom of the book works to snug itself close to the seam over time.

All you can do is make sure the backing board is pushed as far down into the mylar as possible.

You might also consider storing your books in small stacks flat, horizontally on a shelf to prevent gravity from dragging the book down against the mylar. I believe the dealer Doug Sulipia decided this was the best storage method and switched to it a few years ago

Perhaps you mean the giant size ASM 200?

I should probably not worry too much as more avid collectors than I rely on mylar. I'm about ready to bag some of my best books ( for example the double size ASM #300 in very high grade) and wanted an opinion.

I've been working on a project to slowly move my books into 4m Mylar D. I prefer the Bill Cole Time Loks due to the nice big 1" flap. I'm using the 7 3/4 x 10 3/4 size bags with a 24 mil thick acid free buffered backing board (Half Back from E. Gerber).

There's actually lots of room in the bag for the book yet it still fits snug. When looking at the bagged book from the flat side you can see the bottom edge of the book being compressed due to its proximity to the bottom crease of the bag. Usually 1/4 to 3/8 inch from the bottom edge. You get a similar effect from the top when the flap is pinched shut.

Is there any reason to be concerned with that compression? I'm just worried about stress over time. I've included an image to illustrate my query.

mylar-compression.png

Dude, great use of Visio to illustrate your point. (thumbs u