• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JLA#1 cover by...Ramona?

5 posts in this topic

Hmmm...I'm not so sure. Didn't Ramona Fradon draw Aquaman with a Superman-esque "spit-curl?" I'm at the office now with no way to check, but that still looks like Murphy Anderson to me. Fradon was much more cartoony-- and this looks like a straight-up Murph illustration, to me at least.

(But maybe he used Fradon's work for reference, since it's one of the first times Murph ever drew the character?)

that could be, but he never drew John Jonnz either... and hes a ringer for Murphy. The black 'blobs' and bushstroke inking is not very Murphyish. I dunno. Just looked different once I took a close look today...

Maybe... but at that time DC pretty much had each artist pigeon-holed into a particular editor's stable. Schwartz' guys were Infantino, Anderson, Kane, Sekowsky, plus inkers Giella, Greene, Sachs. I can't remember a case where someone outside that stable like Cardy or Fradon or Andru or Bob Brown was called in (at least prior to 1967 or so). But anything's possible.

Here's how I remember Fradon's Aquaman looking...

fradon_aquaman_alad.jpg