• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rare books you own

51 posts in this topic

IMG_1129.jpg

:whistle:

Hoarder. :grin:

Wouldn't that have been funny if I'd only bought ONE of the 10 #2s that Jay Company had...?

Because they frequently threw out long boxes of stuff that didn't sell, and when I bought these, nobody really knew much about them.

Good thing, huh?

IMG_1129.jpg

Wouldn't that have been funny if I'd only bought ONE of the 10 #2s that Jay Company had...?

Because they frequently threw out long boxes of stuff that didn't sell, and when I bought these, nobody really knew much about them.

Good thing, huh?

It's a great thing. In fact, the next time my girlfriend tells me I should be on that Hoarders TV show because of my comics, I'm going to tell her about these.

You just never know....

The census states there are 4 - with Jerel's being the only 9.9; the others are 9.8s :)

I have one of those.

Lckky2.jpg

Ok I think that makes everyone that has one a member here ....or at least has a graded 9.8 one lol

IMG_1129.jpg

Good thing, huh?

so they didn't bother to think that maybe a signed/numbered book (from a hot artist and title) might be something to do some further research on....

:whistle: get those things graded man!

Not sure if you were indicating this with the whistle but CGC won't grade these.

They can't be slabbed for the same reason Eerie #1 ashcans can't be slabbed. They're made of poor quality material (typically printed from copy machines) and are thus easy to replicate. The matter is made even worse because both are 100% black and white, cover and all (once again, because of the whole photocopy thing).

When Eastman and Laird made this book, they printed off their 50 copies from a photocopier and hand-stapled everything together. At this point, the only way to really get an authentic copy is to get one from one of the guys at Mirage, many of whom don't have them anymore.

My copies are from Kevin Eastman's personal TMNT stash. :grin:

IMG_1129.jpg

Good thing, huh?

so they didn't bother to think that maybe a signed/numbered book (from a hot artist and title) might be something to do some further research on....

Were you around the hobby in 2002....?

Let me offer some insight. The Maxx has never been a "hot" title. It is a great title, but at its most popular, it was never a "hot" title. By 2002, the title had been over for 4 years, no one (I mean "the industry", not literally no one, obviously) cared about Sam Kieth. He wasn't doing regular books, and had essentially fallen off the map.

As well....Jay Company knows very little about back issue comics. Bill & Jim are decent enough guys, but they don't care about the details, unless it can make them money. This is demonstrated by their walls covered with books that were hot...2 years ago. Back in 2002, they knew even less about back issue comics.

So, no, "signed & numbered" meant nothing to them, if they even knew they were signed and numbered in the first place. See, what they used to do was buy leftover variants, specials, what have you from Image (which is "just down the road") and Top Cow by the thousands. The lot these ashcans were in was two long boxes full of Stormwatch, Cyberforce, Wildcats ashcans...kitsch books that no one cared about. They weren't in business until 1996, so all these books that came from Image might as well have all been the same book. They didn't know anything about Maxx or Sam Kieth, other than the title.

So, when you combine all those factors, you have the situation I stumbled into. They also had about 35 Red #1s and 10 Blue #1s, all of which I bought. They had no Yellows, and no other #2s or #3s. It was just luck. If I'd not discovered them (I think they actually brought them because they had a random Blue in their $1 box, and I asked if they had more), it's VERY possible that they might all have been thrown out.