• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan#1 (2004) Help me find it!!!

38 posts in this topic

Ugh - that cover is just plain awful - just compare it to any cover of Savage Sword of Conan and tell me I'm wrong. Campbell really ought to stick to Danger Girl - this cover looks like some POS from a Top Cow book.

That cover is just bad news, and all we need is for the Thundercats to make a cover appearance on that POS.

I'm not comparing it to Frazetta's art - I'm comparing it to anyone who drew Conan the way he was supposed to be drawn - realistic and heroic - whether it be Frazetta, BWS, Buscema, Kane, Kaluta, Boris, Norem, Isherwood, etc. etc. Conan is an iconic character and deserves better than to be drawn in some quasi-manga cartoony style that looks like it's being marketed to Japanese schoolgirls and teenage fanboys. Campbell's covers on ASM I don't mind. Campbell drawing the ugliest face on Conan that I have ever seen (runner-up is the not-as-bad, but still bad Linsner cover), combined with horrible anatomical proportions and two girls that look like they came out of a Mad Magazine Conan parody - that I do mind. A lot.

Once again, your problem is that you have a familiarity with past artists' renditions of Conan during his Marvel series. And the idea of who they are marketing to is where we disagree. It's a new day and age, Gene. "Classic" Conan has already been "played out" to ours and earlier generations of Marvel fans. I don't think Dark Horse is trying to get our $$$ back on this series (after all the stories are supposed to be revamps of earlier Marvel plots? Maybe I'm wrong on this...)and their use of Campbell to target "Japanese schoolgirls and teenage fanboys" may exactly be their strategy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I own the 1st 3 GI Joe TPBs with Campbell covers - those covers are truly some of the ugliest artwork I have ever seen.

Gene

I bought these too but to read what was inside not drool at Campbell's rendition of Scarlett, Lady Jaye and Baroness tongue.gif

Once again, your problem is that you have a familiarity with past artists' renditions of Conan during his Marvel series.

Come on Darth, even you can't love this image, assuming you're not oggling the babes and forgetting about the "Retarded Conan" on the cover.

I don't think Dark Horse is trying to get our $$$ back on this series (after all the stories are supposed to be revamps of earlier Marvel plots? Maybe I'm wrong on this...)and their use of Campbell to target "Japanese schoolgirls and teenage fanboys" may exactly be their strategy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, this series is supposed to be entirely made up of the original Robert E Howard stories. Nothing new, nothing based on anything that has been done since then. The only stories they are telling are the original ones Robert E Howard did.

Frankly, that's the coolest thing about this series. thumbsup2.gif

I wish someone had the guts to do James Bond the way he is written in the original Ian Fleming books. Lazenby's portrayal was as close as we've seen...

As far as the Campbell cover... the babes look good, but that may be the worst-looking Conan I have ever seen. confused-smiley-013.gif

Once again, your problem is that you have a familiarity with past artists' renditions of Conan during his Marvel series.

Come on Darth, even you can't love this image, assuming you're not oggling the babes and forgetting about the "Retarded Conan" on the cover.

Yeah, come on Carl, you know I'm no Modern hater like many on the Boards here - not to mention the fact that I share your affinity for nicely drawn women - but aesthetically, that cover is U-G-L-Y, it ain't got no alibi, it's UGLY! There is no way Robert E. Howard would have approved of this butchering of his creation...he must be turning over in his grave right about now. foreheadslap.gif

"Retarded Conan" 27_laughing.gif may just be the most appropriate description of the cover I've heard yet! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Gene

"Retarded Conan" 27_laughing.gif may just be the most appropriate description of the cover I've heard yet! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Gene

Actually that's just a modern-day updating of the art...

That's Conan as he would look after three days on this board reading all the threads from the letter "C" ... Crash... CGG... Comic-Keys... Cleaned and Pressed...

It's "Message Board Conan"... sumo.gif

I don't love it, just arguing with Gene that it's Campbell so there will be fans even if we don't like it. Yes, Conan IS Ugly on this one smile.gif

I don't think Dark Horse is trying to get our $$$ back on this series (after all the stories are supposed to be revamps of earlier Marvel plots? Maybe I'm wrong on this...)and their use of Campbell to target "Japanese schoolgirls and teenage fanboys" may exactly be their strategy. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, this series is supposed to be entirely made up of the original Robert E Howard stories. Nothing new, nothing based on anything that has been done since then. The only stories they are telling are the original ones Robert E Howard did.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was under the impression that it would be something like the Claremont Classic X-men series where later writers would "expand" on existing storylines...

Thanks for clearing this up. I was under the impression that it would be something like the Claremont Classic X-men series where later writers would "expand" on existing storylines...

For the last week, every time I call my Diamond rep and get stuck on hold I have to listen to the same stupid message about this book... so I had that info pretty fresh in my head. smile.gif

I'm just glad no one is asking questions about the latest Yu-Gi-Oh! expansion... I am ashamed to admit that ad speil is stuck in my head too... Maybe if I go listen to "Tubthumping" for an hour I can get it removed... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think the second printing cover is as good as the first. But I had to get a copy of the first printing because the artwork is different. I will be getting both versions.

Any word on what the print run of the second printing will be? Also, does anybody know the print run of the second issue? Trying to decide if I need to get down to the comic store the day it is supposed to come out...

Also, I think it is really cool they are only doing the original Conan stories. That is one of the things that will make this series great.

Indeed that campbell cover is plain silly...conan's face looks like...simply it isn't conan, 27_laughing.gif...ridiculous imho.

Why is everyone crazy about this nº1?! I don't think it will have any legs to have some decen profit with it...

Why is everyone crazy about this nº1?!

Where have you been? The SPECULATORS have returned to take back the hobby!!

Does that mean the crash is over?