• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ian do you have this Superman Ashcan from 1939?

7 posts in this topic

Superman Comics #nn Ashcan (DC, 1939) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white pages

I've read here that Ashcans are one of a kind things so I assume you don't.

I personally don't know a thing about Ashcans before reading about them in threads started by you since I don't collect Golden Age.

If you get that $5000 back put it towards this baby! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I've read here that Ashcans are one of a kind things so I assume you don't.

Yet the auction states:

"There are only two known copies of this ashcan, and both were purchased from Sol Harrison who worked his way up from a production assistant to President at DC comics."

I also understood that Ashcans are one of a kinds--produced for the sole purpose of attaining the copyright to the title. I wonder why there are two Superman Ashcans..

Charlie

I saw it a while back and phoned Fred McSurley at Heritage, as he's been very helpful in the past, recently finding me my wonderful copy of Mutt And Jeff 2.

He said it will go for well over twenty thousand.

So I just mentally wrote it off.

Ashcans are patent acquiring documents, not real comics. No-one could ever get them all.

I bought the Flash 1 ashcan from Steve Sibra, and I have made artificial mockups of many of the others, including this Superman 1, which looks amazingly like the real thing. Remember that the pages in the ashcans have nothing to do with the content - they're just coverless DCs from the time.

The one ashcan I'd like to see is the original Double Action 1 ashcan, although the colour artwork proves that it was more than just an ashcan anyway.

ALL the rest have been in black and white.

I'm happy with the one wonderful ashcan that I already own, as an example of them.