• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Madness Must End

174 posts in this topic

Okay, obviously the general public simply doesn't get it. Obviously a large chunk of the hobby doesn't get it.

STOP HAVING STAN LEE SIGN EVERY DAMN BOOK MARVEL PUBLISHES!

I'm all for doing what you want with your books. Get 'em signed, sketched on, whatever. I even understand having creators sign books they had nothing to do with but they did create the character. What I don't get is having Stan Lee sign books like "Captain America the 1940's Newspaper Strip." Stan had nothing to do with the book. He didn't write it, draw it color it, letter it, ink it, or edit it. He didn't even create Captain America! WHY would anyone have him sign it? New Mutants #86 is another example. He didn't create the New Mutants and certainly didn't stand over Rob Liefeld and tell him to put more pouches on Cable. WHY would you want Stan to sign it????

Don't get me wrong, I love Stan Lee, but having him sign every damn book that flows forth from Marvel's presses is just silly.

Here's what I propose: When someone sees a book like this come before Stan, ask the owner, "WTF?" or make the statement "He didn't do anything on that book, you dolt."

It's up to us to stop the madness.

I'm going to bed now I think it's actually the Maker's Mark doing the typing now....

I think medic is referring to getting Stan Lee to sign books he had nothing to do with at all. I think any copy of spider-man, x-men,Daredevil etc are fine because at least he was the co-creator on those books.

For anyone that watches the big bang theory it is like when Sheldon wanted Stan to sign a copy of Batman. He had nothing to do with it so why would you have him sign it?

To answer the question about whether I would have him sign a book or not if the price was reasonable I would consider it, but as someone noted earlier there are 30 Stan sigs on ebay right now. His autograph is far from difficult to find. My question is roughly how many Stan Lee sigs do you think are out there?

So like these books? or does Stan Lee's name have to be in the credits on the label?

NewXmen20.jpg

Nope, he's not complaining about those. He created Spidey and X-men.

Well, technically, Stan Lee had absolutely nothing to do with either X-23 or the new x-men - I'd still take that over a Stan Lee sig on a sketch cover any day of the week, though.

Doesn't it cheapen the whole experience if you can so easily get his signature. He is like a robot at these events, and people just line up like cattle to plop a book down in front of him.

I think the op is completely on the makers mark! Stop signing everything. It just isn't special if everyone and their grandmother has a Stan Lee sig. IMO

i'm to the point unless his name is in the credits i won't let him touch the book, to dam expensive for his sig

i have about 2-3 books that he had nothing to do with that he signed

i pass looking at books on ebay if he signed them if he didn't work on it

i agree for how meny books he's signed it's not special anymore to get it