• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 2* Results

119 posts in this topic

If anyone was expecting to just pick from 9.2s, 9.4s, 9.6s and 9.8s, well you're in for a treat as the grade range for these books are rather... diverse. :insane:

:applause:

Anyone can grade 9 point whatevers.

The 6.5s and 3.5s are what separates the men from the boys. :sumo:

Here's my thinking on the last round:

"Man, it sure looks like a 7.0, but that last book got a severely-overgraded 9.4 so I better up my guess by quite a bit." lol

Severely over graded? How is a bump from a 9.2 to a 9.4 severely over graded?

My eventual grade was a 9.0 (9.1 actually, but that doesn't exist with CGC) so I already bumped it to a 9.2. :insane:

Seriously, like I said, I meticulously graded the first book and because that didn't work, I totally guessed on the second. But it's all for fun anyway, right? (shrug)

Fun and charity. Lets make this an enjoyable and memorable event. Please remember why it is happening and try and keep anything that in unnecessary to an absolute minimum.

Well, I can only go up from here. lol

On this one, I thought around a 7.0 - 7.5 but anticipated a Nik bump so I went with an 8.5. Note to self: Don't try and anticipate "bump". When you do, it fails, when you don't it fails. lol Ah well, I'm in it for the long haul! Thanks for putting all the work in!

I personally don't think there should be any "selective defect disclosure"...

It's not selective. It's for defects that are there, but you can't see them in the scan. If you misjudge the visible defects, well, that's your own fault.

I think the defect disclosure was perfect, Jim. Also, I was glad to see that no questions were anwsered as some people had already submitted their grade.

I agree 100%

I got stuck on the upper left edge of the fc (as joe_collector noted) wondering if it was a production defect...

You know I've totally blown the first two rounds (can't grade scans well) but I'm having a lot of fun anyway.

I appreciate the spirit of this contest and look forward to more overgrading/undergrading with the rest of the rounds.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Ugh! I still can't really see the stains in the scans. (shrug)

I saw that post about the stains but didn't see any.

Open the image in Photoshop and pump up the contrast. :gossip:

You got an extra copy you can send me? :baiting:

Ugh! I still can't really see the stains in the scans. (shrug)

I saw that post about the stains but didn't see any.

Open the image in Photoshop and pump up the contrast. :gossip:

You got an extra copy you can send me? :baiting:

:gossip:

lol I saw no stain so Igave it a high grade. I don't mind but it is pointless if everything is not seen in scan

I didn't factor the stains that highly into the grade. They were small and not dark.

Just with the 2 inch bend/"almost crease" and the thumb crease w/color loss on the guy's face, you know you have to be about 7.0 even without any stains.

"Man, it sure looks like a 7.0, but that last book got a severely-overgraded 9.4 so I better up my guess by quite a bit." lol

My eventual grade was a 9.0 (9.1 actually, but that doesn't exist with CGC) so I already bumped it to a 9.2. :insane:

Seriously, like I said, I meticulously graded the first book and because that didn't work, I totally guessed on the second. But it's all for fun anyway, right? (shrug)

Fun and charity. Lets make this an enjoyable and memorable event. Please remember why it is happening and try and keep anything that in unnecessary to an absolute minimum.

Actual Joey, this seems just like all of Nik's grading contests. Except you guys are more up front with some of the hidden problems. Nik would throw up the scan, then I would send him a PM with about 10 questions on the book. God love him, I must have driven him crazy with all of the questions I would ask. Everyone could ask, I don't know how the man ever repaired any cars during grading contests.

But even then people would still complain about things. If someone searched the threads of all the past contests that Nik had you find all of the same complaints. I'm sure I'm in a lot of those complaing why some book shouldn't have been a 9.6, I think Nik realized that you couldn't make everyone 100% happy.

I think Nik is looking down on us and having a good laugh, because he really enjoyed these contests. He loved toying with us, but I think he did get ticked about some of the complaints, but he would let most of them ride. He knew most of us appreciated all of the work he put into the contest. Just as I really appreciate all of the work that all of you are putting into this contest.

Thank you all again for giving us a true Nik grading contest!

Actual Joey, this seems just like all of Nik's grading contests. Except you guys are more up front with some of the hidden problems. Nik would throw up the scan, then I would send him a PM with about 10 questions on the book. God love him, I must have driven him crazy with all of the questions I would ask. Everyone could ask, I don't know how the man ever repaired any cars during grading contests.

But even then people would still complain about things. If someone searched the threads of all the past contests that Nik had you find all of the same complaints. I'm sure I'm in a lot of those complaing why some book shouldn't have been a 9.6, I think Nik realized that you couldn't make everyone 100% happy.

I think Nik is looking down on us and having a good laugh, because he really enjoyed these contests. He loved toying with us, but I think he did get ticked about some of the complaints, but he would let most of them ride. He knew most of us appreciated all of the work he put into the contest. Just as I really appreciate all of the work that all of you are putting into this contest.

(thumbs u to all. Well said!

Yeah, well, maybe some of us just like complaining about the complaints. :baiting:

Yeah, well, maybe some of us just like complaining about the complaints. :baiting:

Here, here. Merry Christmas. Carry on.

We were his sounding board. Did we mention each round gets harder?Nothing to see here now, carry on everyone.

We were his sounding board. Did we mention each round gets harder? Nothing left to see here, carry on everyone.