• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko

82 posts in this topic

2 things ive learned from some people that know him...

1- He wont accept any money for any thing remotely connected to Spidey or Marvel for that matter,the man was offered the art to the first appearance of SpiderMan he said he could care less and refused it,it was then donated to the Library of Congress..

2-He has a very strict moral and ethical code,his belief is rooted in Ayn Rand's philosophy,you want an in with Ditko study Rand.

Other than that,GOOD LUCK.

:cloud9:

Reading Fountainhead right now.

The man was offered the art to the first appearance of SpiderMan he said he couldn't care less and refused it.

Being from South America me English is so so.

Looking forward to having dinner with you at NYCC next year...that is, if you stick around long enough to actually eat. :)

Hope the little one is doing well! Almost 3, no?

1- the man was offered the art to the first appearance of SpiderMan

Brings up an interesting question...what would people around here do for that art work? hm

I'd let Henn give Finghy a reacharound

I was wondering when you were going to let me cut in on your action. :think:

1- He wont accept any money for any thing remotely connected to Spidey or Marvel for that matter,the man was offered the art to the first appearance of SpiderMan he said he could care less and refused it,it was then donated to the Library of Congress..

2-He has a very strict moral and ethical code,his belief is rooted in Ayn Rand's philosophy,you want an in with Ditko study Rand.

Selfish and self centered, screw the fans, it's about me :whee:

What a pathetic way of life, this person has issues and should have never been in the comic industry, Marvel should have picked a better artist if this was going to be the outcome. 2c

What a pathetic way of life, this person has issues and should have never been in the comic industry, Marvel should have picked a better artist if this was going to be the outcome. 2c

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. You should be ashamed of yourself. Here is my response from two and a half years ago, even though your response is so ignorant it hardly deserves response:

He owes the fans something for keeping his character alive!

I vehemently disagree with this statement. He owes no one anything. Do you owe the consumers of whatever you do for a living anything, forty years after they have consumed whatever it is you produce? Why should artists be held to higher standard than the rest of us? I would love to have Ditko SS, but he doesn't owe it to me.

In the future, do some research before you shoot your mouth off.

Mr. Ditko is not selfish or self centered. He has a strict moral code and it's not surprising that most people don't understand this in such an amoral society. It is not "about me," it is all about the work. His philosophy is that the work he does speaks for itself and has nothing to do with him personally. He believes that he has given exactly what he wants to give and if you or other fans enjoy it, that's great, but the artist and the art are separate entities. He also believes that once he completes a job that is is done and that he does not want to revisit it. To him it is less about what he has done than what he is doing now.

A pathetic way of life is living an unprincipled and undisciplined life. Even more pathetic is criticizing those that do.

In the future, do some research before you shoot your mouth off.

Mr. Ditko is not selfish or self centered. He has a strict moral code and it's not surprising that most people don't understand this in such an amoral society. It is not "about me," it is all about the work. His philosophy is that the work he does speaks for itself and has nothing to do with him personally. He believes that he has given exactly what he wants to give and if you or other fans enjoy it, that's great, but the artist and the art are separate entities. He also believes that once he completes a job that is is done and that he does not want to revisit it. To him it is less about what he has done than what he is doing now.

A pathetic way of life is living an unprincipled and undisciplined life. Even more pathetic is criticizing those that do.

If I'm not mistaken this is also why there will probably never be an Alan Moore SS either, he shares similar views as far as his work goes...

Alan moore will sign. I have a Copy of the Black Dossier that he signed for me. The problem is he is in the UK which makes SS Difficult

Yep, I have a Miracleman #1 signed by Moore as well - he will happily sign anything you put in front of him, he just doesn't do comic book shows nor likes to leave the UK.

I just get tired of people criticizing Mr. Ditko when they have no idea what they are talking about.

:grin:

At a local show a few years back there was a raffle for a Ditko autograph. It was merely a handwritten letter declining an invitation for him to attend a convention. At the end of the letter he signed "steve ditko" . The letter was auctioned for $225.00

So while a Ditko autograph could happen, a SS book is less than likely.

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. You should be ashamed of yourself. Here is my response from two and a half years ago, even though your response is so ignorant it hardly deserves response:

He owes the fans something for keeping his character alive!

I vehemently disagree with this statement. He owes no one anything. Do you owe the consumers of whatever you do for a living anything, forty years after they have consumed whatever it is you produce? Why should artists be held to higher standard than the rest of us? I would love to have Ditko SS, but he doesn't owe it to me.

Its not ignorant, in your own words it may be, artist/creators/etc. should know what the outcome of this so called "fame" is.

Not this I can care less attitude, and I am going to be in hiding from the world. What if Stan Lee, or any others in the comic industry, or any other industry did the same thing?

Signature Series, good luck.