• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr.

22 posts in this topic

Mike Deodato Jr. is the new artist on Amazing Spider-Man while JR Jr takes his "sabbatical" to work on Wolverine and the Punisher.

Kev

Great.. so now instead of ruining ASM, he'll be drawing c r a p for Wolvie and the Punisher??? Oh boy... just when I was starting to enjoy Wolverine and the Punisher all over again, here comes mighty Marvel throwing [!@#%^&^] art at me. Guess thats 2 more titles Ill be dropping in favor of some DC's. Way to go Marvel.

frown.gif

Posts like these suggest that many collectors are no longer completists... that they are willingly allowing holes to develop in their runs. It used to be that you kept buying the comics just to keep the run going (and because comics were cheap enough to do so without causing a dent in the pocketbook.)

With all the renumbering and reboots, a lot of the old collecting mentality is going out the window.

Yeah, I had to break myself of that mindset. I decided to focus on ASM 1-300. Then somehow I started buying the new series at #36 again, so I have #1 and 36-current.

I quit the "old" Daredevil at 300 too, when it was pretty worthless, now I buy a double of the new series.

I'm even thinking of selling off my ASM 100-300, minus the keys, and reinvesting on a better run of 1-100 in higher grade than I have now.

One reason is that now I'm starting to think as a father who'll need college money for two sons someday, and the high-grade early issues will perform better than a bunch of cheapo stuff in a run.

All I know is that the art in ASM is substandard NOW and I don't understand how an artist lets his skills degrade or changes his style so much that it has a negative effect on the finished product.

I just don't think that he is investing the time in his artwork that he used to. frown.gif I used to be a big fan of JRjr, especially his first run on ASM back in the 80's, but must agree that his art now sucks.