• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover artist credits?

22 posts in this topic

Question for you experts...

I'm going through some of my Joe collection to send off for some signatures and a question came up that I'm sure many of you know the answer too. How does CGC know who the cover artist (and inker) was when it isn't listed in the comic "creative team" list on the splash page or indica? For example, I have several CGC graded comics that list Zeck as a cover artist but when you actually read through the book and indica there is nothing listed as to a cover artist... a few are easy because Zeck put his name in the cover art but other covers have no indication at all.

The info on the Grand Comic Data base comes from contributors, of which many are board members.

Lost of covers are easily identifiable by publisher's data or simply signatures. Some are not. I suppose, those that are in dispute would probably be much like Wiki where someones opinion would be posted as info unless someone could prove it otherwise.

Let's take the original questions a step further, where does the info on those sites come from? Art experts?

(shrug)

Not sure if other companies contribute like this, but I see many DC listings saying: "Cover pencils and inks credits from Julius Schwartz's editorial records, provided to the GCD by DC Comics".

Let's take the original questions a step further, where does the info on those sites come from? Art experts?

(shrug)

Yes. As someone on the GCD mailing list, I can guarantee you that art IDs are thoroughly researched and that before being approved, the info, if tough to get, goes through a strict vetting process. The area where one should have concern is that early on the life of the database, some indexers played more fast and loose than they are permitted today. So, first go to the GCD and then apply common sense. If in doubt, like F_T, send an email to the error list. There is a link at the bottom of every entry to express said concerns. The issue will be brought to the collective for review and edit if warranted.

To those who study the medium, an artist's art is like a signature. :sumo:

True enough.

Agreed !!!

I have often wondered if it threw off graders with certain things , such as when Starlin would sign his work with "J L Minirats"....or his collaborations with Milgrom that were signed with GEMINI.

But, yes......an artist's work is his signature !!

Regards

(thumbs u

Bump

are there any major covers still left a mystery?

Yup. Marvel Mystery #9 cover is in dispute. Classic cover.

Some people think it's a Schomburg/Everett collaboration.