• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this really a 9.8?

148 posts in this topic

how come a bad miswrap like that doesn't get dinged from being a 9.8?

It is really distracting.

Miswrap doesn't affect grade. It's just down to personal choice on the buyer's side whether they can live with it or not.

i guess i don't understand why not then.

Are the following treated the same way?

paper roll creases.

registration issues.

bad trimming.

blanket adhesions causing color loss.

they all fall under printing defects.

In general, CGC ignores printing defects and "eye appeal" when grading. I can only think of one example where CGC has mentioned considering eye appeal, for non-SS sigs: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=558052&Searchpage=1&Main=30369&Words=signature&topic=0&Search=true#Post558052

Frankenstein is right! lol

But as bad as that one is, the WWBN 9.8 had a white spine twice as large as that - truly a freakshow book in a 9.8 slab and it used to be stylish to post it on here.

I have seen white cover books with worst.

CGC cuts off the allowable grade based on the size of defect (in this case miswrap).

The larger the miswrap, the lower the grade cut off.

This really only has an effect on the 9.6-10.0 range. Below that I don't think a miswrap has any effect on grade.

I think you are full of shiite. We all have seen horrific miswraps in 9.8 cases. Especially since the great Pressing Boom of 2009. It might keep a book from a 9.9+

(thumbs u I`ve even seen miswrapped 9.9s.

Miswrap doesn't affect grade. It's just down to personal choice on the buyer's side whether they can live with it or not.

paper roll creases.

registration issues.

bad trimming.

In general, CGC ignores printing defects and "eye appeal" when grading. I can only think of one example where CGC has mentioned considering eye appeal, for non-SS sigs: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=25&Number=558052&Searchpage=1&Main=30369&Words=signature&topic=0&Search=true#Post558052

Umm, CGC does NOT ignore printing defects. They measure them and simply grade them as any other defect.

(thumbs u

CGC cuts off the allowable grade based on the size of defect (in this case miswrap).

The larger the miswrap, the lower the grade cut off.

This really only has an effect on the 9.6-10.0 range. Below that I don't think a miswrap has any effect on grade.

I think you are full of shiite. We all have seen horrific miswraps in 9.8 cases. Especially since the great Pressing Boom of 2009. It might keep a book from a 9.9+

(thumbs u I`ve even seen miswrapped 9.9s.

The grade depends on the severity of the defect (or the accumulation of defects in the case of multiple defects). As it always has.

(thumbs u

X-men140CGC9_9.jpg

paper roll creases.

registration issues.

bad trimming.

Umm, CGC does NOT ignore printing defects. They measure them and simply grade them as any other defect.

(thumbs u

hm Maybe "ignore" was too strong a word. I thought bindery/manufacturing defects were not considered damage?

I did remember another old mention of eye appeal and bindery defects

"EG: Is it true that CGC grades a little more leniently on Golden-Age books because of the number of printing defects (such as bindery tears) that came on these books off the presses?

SteveBorock: Yes. Not all comic books are manufactured the same and that has to be taken into account when grading it, that is why it is so important to hire industry experts such as Haspel, Friesen, and Stephan. If you have never handled a GA Terrific # 1 then you have no clue as to the "printing/bindery" defects most copies of it has.

Also, you have to consider a little bit of "eye appeal". A 1" crease on an Action #2 looks smaller and less obtrusive than a 1" crease on a Spidey #38 and the same 1" crease looks even more obtrusive on a Mighty Midget Comics #1."

http://stlcomics.com/columns/ironslab/IV/

Still waiting to see a book that is a 9.6 because of miswrap. I appreciate the 9.9 miswrap book making my point, though. This reminds me of the "Why are you punching yourself" routine I used to engage in with my little brother. :ohnoez:

Still waiting to see a book that is a 9.6 because of miswrap. I appreciate the 9.9 miswrap book making my point, though. This reminds me of the "Why are you punching yourself" routine I used to engage in with my little brother. :ohnoez:

:roflmao: