• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimming

74 posts in this topic

That pretty much proves to me that Eastern Color ALSO trims after the fold. Another possibility about the graduated Vbevel being less pronounced at the bottom.....this is obviously produced by a constant factor, something that occurs every time, so shelf storage may not be it. Some stores had spinners, some shelfs, some stored flat. Another possibility....I'd read that the inner book was produced from a large sheet that has many pages on it that is folded in some strange way....and then all the folded edges are cropped away EXCEPT the spine. Suppose there are more folds at the top of the book than at the bottom ( or at the edge? ), and when the cropping is finished, more settling occurs at the top....more play to form a V ? Don't have any proof, just a hypothesis. GOD BLESS...

There certainly are some factors that you're dancing around that might play a part in it.

I don't think there will be a single golden rule common factor, but there may be some similar ones.

Unfortunately, I don't know if they can be determined with any accuracy, and if they can, doubt they could be reproduced for the sake of science.

For those that don't know, I went to an auction this past weekend that had some factory bundled comics from 1979 that had been stored flat since they were produced. I had the chance right in front of me but didn't think about it at the time. If these books had overhang at the top, it would completely negate the gravity argument that upright comics cause it.

However, I picked up a few books, and although I wasn't paying attention, I didn't notice the overhang.

Here's a LINK to my report from the auction.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a few of these books just for the sake of investigation. It may take me a while, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Very good topic, one of the few where every post was interesting to read with the exception of TRmoore54 post count bump. :) In past trimming threads that I have read, it has been suggested that post production trimming could be detected from the lack of overhang or “V” effect (mainly on SA) essential showing a clean block cut but I think what has been discussed here blows the detection process out of the water right?

Hey I contributed to the thread in a positive manner...go back to p. 3 :baiting::makepoint:

I went back to page 3 and I stand corrected, my apologizes. doh!

Very good topic, one of the few where every post was interesting to read with the exception of TRmoore54 post count bump. :) In past trimming threads that I have read, it has been suggested that post production trimming could be detected from the lack of overhang or “V” effect (mainly on SA) essential showing a clean block cut but I think what has been discussed here blows the detection process out of the water right?

Hey I contributed to the thread in a positive manner...go back to p. 3 :baiting::makepoint:

I went back to page 3 and I stand corrected, my apologizes. doh!

No worries MasterControllerMan! :headbang:

That pretty much proves to me that Eastern Color ALSO trims after the fold. Another possibility about the graduated Vbevel being less pronounced at the bottom.....this is obviously produced by a constant factor, something that occurs every time, so shelf storage may not be it. Some stores had spinners, some shelfs, some stored flat. Another possibility....I'd read that the inner book was produced from a large sheet that has many pages on it that is folded in some strange way....and then all the folded edges are cropped away EXCEPT the spine. Suppose there are more folds at the top of the book than at the bottom ( or at the edge? ), and when the cropping is finished, more settling occurs at the top....more play to form a V ? Don't have any proof, just a hypothesis. GOD BLESS...

There certainly are some factors that you're dancing around that might play a part in it.

I don't think there will be a single golden rule common factor, but there may be some similar ones.

Unfortunately, I don't know if they can be determined with any accuracy, and if they can, doubt they could be reproduced for the sake of science.

For those that don't know, I went to an auction this past weekend that had some factory bundled comics from 1979 that had been stored flat since they were produced. I had the chance right in front of me but didn't think about it at the time. If these books had overhang at the top, it would completely negate the gravity argument that upright comics cause it.

However, I picked up a few books, and although I wasn't paying attention, I didn't notice the overhang.

Here's a LINK to my report from the auction.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a few of these books just for the sake of investigation. It may take me a while, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for responding for what is probably the umpteenth time to this topic....your patience is legendary lol .....I'm sorry I was late for the parade, as usual. If you get the chance....could yu let us know how many books were in the factory bundle and what type of bundling was used. You would have to be right about many different factors producing the result....otherwise it wouldn't be so difficult to figure this out. I did notice that the most pronounced "V" seems to occur with Eastern from 1960 - 1966.....and I have only found one book in my collection ( TTA 20) that has a "V" down the entire length of the book. I did find several that begin as low as 2 inches up. As for overhang, it seems to be less on my books that are either higher grade or known ( to me ) original owner books...also higher grade. This overhang may also be intensified in books that are more worn and handled more frequently producing a loosening at the staple region...which COULD make gravity a more active participant. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:wishluck:

:wishluck:

I'll check on it this weekend. Thanks for reminding me.

I just picked up a couple of R.J. Long copies from a friend. He also brought by his Pacific Coast copy of FF 13, still in the mylar with the sticker as it came from Rob Roter. None of these books have much overhang at all.All are original owner books. At first, I admit, I was VERY sceptical about the paper shrinkage as the cause for overhang theory. This is no longer the case....I'm a definite convert. GOD BLESS...

Another RJ Long.....ST 110, with almost no overhang. You can see the distributor spray and it also is on the cover edge, although it might not be visible in the pic. Overhang is not a good basis for trimming detrmination. GOD BLESS...

ST110topedge.jpg

I have a ASM #25 that is very similar. No overhang, distributor's ink.

.....I had always thought overhang came with the book......these boards have been a real learning experience, even for a know-it-all like me. GOD BLESS...

Another RJ Long.....ST 110, with almost no overhang. You can see the distributor spray and it also is on the cover edge, although it might not be visible in the pic. Overhang is not a good basis for trimming detrmination. GOD BLESS...

ST110topedge.jpg

Adding "distributor ink" after the fact would be a clever way to hide a trim job. hm

Overhang is something that happens after production of the book.

There are plenty of books that have been stored in conditions so that the overhang does not occur.

Jimbo is correct in that overhang alone (or lack thereof) is not a good indicator of whether a book has been trimmed or not.

(thumbs u

Overhang is something that happens after production of the book.

There are plenty of books that have been stored in conditions so that the overhang does not occur.

Jimbo is correct in that overhang alone (or lack thereof) is not a good indicator of whether a book has been trimmed or not.

(thumbs u

but sadly....that is the characteristic most often used. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend fo jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I used an R.J. Long book as I KNOW these are untouched. This guy brought them into Jerry's store in hat boxes and apple crates, hoping to get a dollar a piece for them :o .....he didn't even know what trimming is. GOD BLESS...