• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Registry Awards Category - next steps

98 posts in this topic

So late last year, many brought up the topic of asking CGC to consider creating a Copper Age registry awards category as currently Copper and Modern are mashed together as one category.

But even better, Gemma had mentioned to me CGC was considering making this a wider discussion, and helping standardize the timeline for the Copper Age.

How can we get these discussions going soon as it will probably take quite a while just to capture all the suggestions and recommendations?

I have some background questions that might help the discussion (or it might just show my ignorance... ???)

Why didn't CGC break out the Copper Age from the beginning of the registry?

Why hasn't CGC done this already?

Is it just a time/labor/amount of work related thing or are there people who are against this separation of Copper/Modern?

And if people are against it, why?

(Or is the big hold up defining the exact timeframe of the Copper Age?)

I'm all for it, except for one important reason:

If CGC starts officially recognizing the Copper Age, does that mean they could create another grading tier for Copper, instead of keeping it in the Modern category?

Please don't give CGC any ideas about upping the price it costs to slab CA books :tonofbricks:

Grading tiers don't really have anything to do with registry ages, as evidenced by the fact that there are no tiers named "Bronze", "Silver" or "Gold".

The "Modern" grading tier was created because CGC wanted to give people a cheap option to slab newer books that don't have much value - they choose the title "modern" to differentiate it from the Standard/Value/Economy tiers, and to show that it was a tier where the primary requirement was the age of the book (not the value).

All I am gonna say is please get Copper out of Modern's Awards for next year, because I am planning to win Best Modern Age Set no matter what this time.

2011 must be the year Tom gets his 4th Superbowl ring, the Locke & Key TV show airs, I get a L&K #2 in CGC 10 and win Best Modern Age Set. :wishluck:

All I am gonna say is please get Copper out of Modern's Awards for next year, because I am planning to win Best Modern Age Set no matter what this time.

2011 must be the year Tom gets his 4th Superbowl ring, the Locke & Key TV show airs, I get a L&K #2 in CGC 10 and I win Best Modern Age Set. :wishluck:

lol

:applause:

Once CGC starts tackling this topic, I'm sure it will be sorted out professionally, and with as little pain as possible.

:gossip: Does Gemma like Mountain Dew, Coca Cola, Sprite, or Fresca?

I was going to send a case to keep her going once this starts up. :blush:

• Administrator

So...(drumroll) CGC will set the Copper Age on the Registry to include books from 1980-1990. This will be implemented shortly and I will make a follow-up announcement once it is complete. :hi:

So...(drumroll) CGC will set the Copper Age on the Registry to include books from 1980-1990. This will be implemented shortly and I will make a follow-up announcement once it is complete. :hi:

:applause:

So no Mountain Dew necessary?

smiley_whew.gif