• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT- Favorite Novel - Sci-Fi and Fantasy

67 posts in this topic

Yes, Carl's editor Tony Vincenzo appears in the comics too! The first issue adapts the series pilot, another adapts an unaired episode, and the rest are brand new stories. They've been putting out 48 page full color squarebounds with no ads for $6.95 a pop.

Also picked up the first issue of an ongoing series called Kolchak: Tales of the Night Stalker ($3.50 cover price), but I haven't read that one yet.

Also bought two issues of the new Mr. Moto limited series from Moonstone, but I'm waiting on issue 3 to read them all together.

I still can't figure out why the Tolkien estate hasn't sued Terry Brooks for either copyright infringement or plagiarism...

Please remember that Tolkien was an english professor who spent his early acedemic life translating norse and british methology into english, for e.g. Sir Gwain and the Green Knight. A lot of the hobbit can be traced back to famous texts such as Beowulf.

Who should be suing who??????????????

Mythology, King Arthur and Beowulf are all public domain, so there is no owner and everyone is free to take, reproduce, etc. I'm fairly familiar with these stories (although less so with british mythology), and don't recall a group quite like the fellowship of the ring nor any quest quite like the quest to destroy the ring. On the other hand, Shannara is a dead ringer (pardon the pun) for LOTR, from composition of the group to similarity in quest. More slickly written, and thus more easily palatable for the non-core Sci-fi/fantasy fan who can't wade through LOTR. But seriously, can anyone who had read LOTR, when they started reading Shannara, not say after the first, say, 20 pages, "hmm, seems awfully familiar..."

Cool books ,I read those years ago,Robert Anton Wilson, one far out guy to say the least!!! And I guess you could maybe put these under Fantasy some of it maybe???? Books by Carlos Castaneda,I used to love reading those!! cloud9.gif

Trying to pick between Science Fiction and fantasy?.. thats tuff..

But I would like to throw these names into the thread.

Julian May, and the Pliocene Exile series.

Stephen R. Donaldson and his "White Gold Wielder" series , starrintg the greatest unhero of all time, Thomas Covanent the unbeliever .

And Robert Jordan for his contribution to modern fantasy with" The Wheel of Time Series"

And in pure Science Fiction , I always did like Ben Bova and the Orion Series , I read these as a young man, and they made me think in a different way about science fiction.

Plus the usuals standbys I love, Bradbury, and Clark

Zeman

I still can't figure out why the Tolkien estate hasn't sued Terry Brooks for either copyright infringement or plagiarism...

Please remember that Tolkien was an english professor who spent his early acedemic life translating norse and british methology into english, for e.g. Sir Gwain and the Green Knight. A lot of the hobbit can be traced back to famous texts such as Beowulf.

Who should be suing who??????????????

Mythology, King Arthur and Beowulf are all public domain, so there is no owner and everyone is free to take, reproduce, etc. I'm fairly familiar with these stories (although less so with british mythology), and don't recall a group quite like the fellowship of the ring nor any quest quite like the quest to destroy the ring. On the other hand, Shannara is a dead ringer (pardon the pun) for LOTR, from composition of the group to similarity in quest. More slickly written, and thus more easily palatable for the non-core Sci-fi/fantasy fan who can't wade through LOTR. But seriously, can anyone who had read LOTR, when they started reading Shannara, not say after the first, say, 20 pages, "hmm, seems awfully familiar..."

Please note: Smaug the Dragon was taken directly from Beowulf............the Dwarfen names are all taken from Norse Mythology.....the human race from Numenor is a direct take from the Vikings. They didn't have public domain around the first world war when the hobbit was being formulated. Everyone steals sub consciously or even consciously from everyone else. makepoint.gif