• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crime Suspense #22

148 posts in this topic

same. a mid grade EC for close to a grand? no thanks.

Bonds25 won a gaines copy of this book on heritage only to have his bid summarily cancelled - don't get him started

lol

Goldust40, here's a scan of the Gaines File copy:

crime2296.jpg

Fabulous book. You have every right to be miffed about the bid cancellation. I know I've been advised not to ask, but what exactly was the reason for Heritage's withdrawal of the book?

The book had a reserve price, and I met the reserve about 1 or 2 days before the end of the auction. Apparently the seller had second thoughts, because I was then informed by Heritage that the reserve price had been raised higher.

I am the owner of this book. I must have purchased this book after all this transpired. I've never offered this book for sale or auction.

Bravo for owning such a great book. You can name your price with that one....

same. a mid grade EC for close to a grand? no thanks.

Bonds25 won a gaines copy of this book on heritage only to have his bid summarily cancelled - don't get him started

lol

Goldust40, here's a scan of the Gaines File copy:

crime2296.jpg

Fabulous book. You have every right to be miffed about the bid cancellation. I know I've been advised not to ask, but what exactly was the reason for Heritage's withdrawal of the book?

The book had a reserve price, and I met the reserve about 1 or 2 days before the end of the auction. Apparently the seller had second thoughts, because I was then informed by Heritage that the reserve price had been raised higher.

I am the owner of this book. I must have purchased this book after all this transpired. I've never offered this book for sale or auction.

Bravo for owning such a great book. You can name your price with that one....

One milllion dollars doh!

Anyone bidding on this copy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270700600678

I've seen this seller's EC auctions before, but I've never pulled the trigger - has anyone dealt with this guy?

I would pass on that auction personally, small pictures are not revealing, and he doesn't want to give it a grade when asked. No thanks.

But thankfully I already own a copy of this book.

Anyone bidding on this copy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270700600678

I've seen this seller's EC auctions before, but I've never pulled the trigger - has anyone dealt with this guy?

I would pass on that auction personally, small pictures are not revealing, and he doesn't want to give it a grade when asked. No thanks.

But thankfully I already own a copy of this book.

I have both bought from and sold to this person. He has ended auctions early before to strike a deal with someone outside eBay (I have done this too); so maybe he did this and the deal fell through?

The book I bought from him was a Shock Suspenstories #18 graded "Nice". It had nice eye appeal, but the spine was splitting quickly. The small pictures aren't revealing... I would take a pass. Decent guy to deal with, but it's nearly impossible to get guidance on an industry standard grade.

If there is one thing I have learned from reading these boards, its to not be afraid to walk away from a book.

Remember: There are always more copies of the book. Unless its a particular pedigree or particularly small print run, you can find it later.

Don't gamble with your money. If its a CGC, no gabmle. If its a seller you trust with nice large scans and a money back guarantee, its no gamble. Otherwise, walk away.

I messaged this guy on eBay asking for scans.

He said: "Trust me...u won't own this book. your looking for a slabbed book...if you can afford it...good luck.."

I messaged back explaining that I DON'T trust him and that's why I wanted scans.

Beware.

Wow talk about an ebay fail doh!

Glad I've never been tempted to bid on any of this guy's auctions!

yeah something is really weird about this auction... I'm sure he has it but he seems like he's doing weird and strange things to try to get as much money out of this book as possible...

Ending the previous auction early and then getting two bids at 810 now for past several days is very odd. The book doesn't even look that great of shape to receive bids of 800. I doubt it would even get a 6.0 if slabbed. Pictures are poor as well, even though he has a ton, none of them are close up to really see any detail. I'm passing at this price.

Unfortunately my copy went to help close a much larger deal.

Personally, I think $1,000 for a mid-grade copy is pretty fair for this book. Sure it is a pretty common book for the time period but it is also one of the best comic covers ever produced. I like to think of the ASM of classic covers, there are a lot of them out there, but demand is huge for the book.

Here is a question, how many 40-50's books at this level or higher up on the average want list can be had for the "cheap" price you can still get copies of this book for? I think this is one of the prime books that will continue to see an uptick in price as the the scarcer classic covers continue to become unattainable to the average collector.

I bought an EC from yeagerp1 last year. Undisclosed defect. No return policy. :yeahok:

A few weeks later, he outbid me on a 5.0 slabbed EC that he cracked out and relisted raw at a higher grade. :yeahok: (It went for $20 less than he paid for it lol ).

Avoid.

That book sold for $1,580! Jebus... probably $1,000 too much given the one that sold for $450 and the other for $600 within the last couple of weeks. Note to self: when selling key classic covers, post tiny pictures and don't answer questions nor offer refunds.