• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hellblazer Review

76 posts in this topic

Glad that you liked what you have read - it is a top quality title. I'm assuming that it has now finished with the DC reboot.

And I still haven't found a #190 :pullhair:

Gonna be sorting through my HB issues this week for some eBay listings. If I've got a 190, you can have it.

I reread issues 1-5 over the weekend on Comixology and found them all significantly better than anything DC has released in quite a few years.

Guess I'll now have to follow in Comicopolis's footsteps and re-read the whole run (I never did get around to putting them up on Fleabay).

Even though this is a Hellblazer thread, does anyone know if the the Animal Man series (#1-89) compares favorably to the HB series?

I'm thinking of starting another Vertigo run and thinking of starting with either Animal Man (haven't read any but can find them in quarter-50 cent bins) or Hellblazer but I'd like to figure out which series had the best overall writing/appeal.

Sandman is a great book and well worth reading time and time again.

As for Animal Man, I personally loved the original DC series. It's certainly not as gritty as Hellblazer but the pre Vertigo books had a unique charm which kept me hooked.

As Vertigo kicked off the series got progressivelly more and more bonkers and probably ended a few issues too late as it was becoming weird to the point of incomprehensible (Much the same as Shade and Doom Patrol did).

After a long hiatus...

Hellblazer #189-193.

It's the end of the world (again) and JC gets a scolding from the Phantom Stranger and enlists the Swamp Thing to save the day. A decent read but seeing Swampy in a cod piece was slightly unnerving.

Hellblazer #194.

JC is suffering from amnesia and ends up on a psychiatric ward - gets in to all kinds of trouble with a deranged bald man and strange little girl. Which is just a normal day on the internet for most of us.

Cool cover though.

hellblazer%20194.jpg

Hellblazer #195.

JC still has the old mind melts while Chas decides to take his family to the good old British seaside - in November. And the big nasty bald man cause more problems for everyone. Hair-loss frustration can be a killer.

121227.png.52e1cd57d983cd829623580ee4dfbb51.png

Hellblazer #196.

JC goes for lunch with a naughty woman, throws a baby out of a window and the big bad bald man gets his eyes gouged out. Just another typical day out on the British coast.

121228.jpg.3ddbb936bea1c6247ec847252b0c5a67.jpg