• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Lee vs Michael Turner

19 posts in this topic

Having recently returned to the hobby after a multi-decade hiatus, I was curious what people thought of these two artists. Since my stick figures look bad, I'm impressed with anything, except for Bill Sienkiewicz (spelling?).

I've seen some of Lee's work on the Batman issues (608-619), and it didn't strike me as anything extraordinary, Michael Turner's recent covers on the Supes issues seem more heroic. I haven't really seen much else, and I don't think that a good representative sample. Did I read somewhere that Lee had some great stuff in an Image or Valiant line?

IMHO, Jim Lee draws much better faces. Not sure I can get used to the eyebrows Turner draws on all his male characters. That being said, his cover to Flash #207 was simply stunning (ie. no eyebrows). grin.gif

I don't find Lee's work striking on a regular basis and while I don't particularly care for Turner's style (his faces seem featureless, exept for the eyes) it is catchy.

Quick question, does Adi Granov do anything but cover work? Recently I've seen some great looking covers and keep finding his name attached to them.

CRC

No contest in my mind. Just look to Turner's Witchblade work.

wb6print.jpg

IMHO, Jim Lee draws much better faces. Not sure I can get used to the eyebrows Turner draws on all his male characters. That being said, his cover to Flash #207 was simply stunning (ie. no eyebrows). grin.gif

In the batman/superman 8 issue I thought supermans eyebrows looks like a batsignal

How about Jae Lee? or JRJR? or Kubert? Or...and the list could go on and on and on...imho these are overhyped artists, very good ones but not the best.

Don't go hijacking my posts, slow your roll! I think my favorites are Marshall Rogers' Detectives, Frank Miller and Neal Adams. I just missed the initial entrance of the two people I was asking about and wanted to get some feelers from others. Check out History of the World's segment on the birth of the artist and then, the critic for some guidance on those you listed. tongue.gif

I like them both for interiors, but I LOVE Turner's covers. To wit:

pic_lrgflsh211cvr.jpg

Nice cover, but I think I'd give Photoshop more credit than Turner.