• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FAN EXPO CANADA™ 2011 - August 25th to 28th in Toronto, Canada - Now 4 Days!

562 posts in this topic

mndb369,

It takes 2 to make a relationship... Tiz and Kevin have tried on our end to have CGC at Fan Expo... They are just not interested... Maybe they can't afford our rates... I dont know... Let me ask why you are not giving this much grief to CGC? They are the ones that decided not to be at Fan Expo... and even if we did know the reason, we couldn't discuss it for confidentiality reasons anyways... but we really dont know... Though someone else on the boards mentioned they didnt do well, which is a valid reason, in my opinion...

Next, you are right that we would question Marvel if they didnt decide to come back... but that affects more the the 10-12 people who dearly want CGC at Fan Expo... The majority of our efforts have to be placed towards catering to 60.000+ people... but, as you can see, we do place an effort towards small companies such as CGC because of the handful of Fan Expo fans that want them there... but with no success in this instance... not sure what else you want us to do...

Ziazmere, I think it is very clear that we have made a sincere effort to have CGC at Fan Expo... Kevin and Tiz and both spoken to them on the phone and in-person...

hsm

Hsm,

You honestly believe only 10-12 people want CGC for FanExpo? Phoenix Comic Con drew a little over 20,000 people with well over 300+ SS subs between DWC and CGC not to mention the standard Subs and the Guest list was not on Par with FanExpo. FanExpo is expecting 60,000+ and you think 10-12 people want SS subs!!!!! GET REAL! There are 18 Guest at FanExpo that I would like SS Subs = min 20 books, possible 40+ .

Maybe Montreal will pick up more Key Guest Artists to surround Stan Lee: They already have DWC attending!

Good luck with FanExpo! (worship)

So from what I've gathered so far:

Fact: Fan Expo WANTS to Have CGC at their show. Have wanted this every year since at least 2006.

Fact since 2007 CGC finds it financially reasonable to set up at Toronto shows that draw (generously) 2-3K in attendance and only once in full force at Fan Expo

Fact: CGC does not find it financially reasonable to set up at Fan Expo. (No rocket scientist required to connect dots)

Fact: Walked by the CGC booth at WWT.O. about 1 pm on Saturday. It wasn't what you could even kindly call 'active'.

Fact: Fan Expo (Tiz , Kev HSM etc.) are always in discussions with Harshen, Paul, Joe etc about attending

Fact: It is not Fan Expo's responsibility to FORCE companies to attend because a small minority of people (and yes, compared Phoenix's 20,0000 attendees and 300 subs is small; especially if one person could submit 20 books - and are these numbers correct?)

Fact: CGC has stated that they will not be attending Fan Expo.

Fact: I'd love to see Gemma in T.O. (yeah I said it ;-) )

Fact: Marvel (or DC, or Disney etc.) is a much larger company to worry about than CGC. MUCH. Especially since they WANT to be in Toronto. You need to be realistic about where you spend your energy.

Fact: The vast majority or the people attending the show will not have any use for any of CGC's services.

Fact: People need to be asking CGC directly why they aren't attending. Tiz, Kev and HSM have answered the same question a number of different ways but it just doesn't seem to get through.

[font:Book Antiqua]CGC We want to know why you don’t want to come to Fan Expo....

Again...

Please Explain.....

This is not for Kevin or Tiziano to explain.

Is for CGC ....

You don’t want to come to Fan Expo

But you are book for Wizard next year...

WHY.....

COULD YOU EXPLAIN (PLEASE) WHY....[/font]

(shrug)

[font:Book Antiqua]

Kevin... Tiziano.... Fan Expo....

Could you please provide a link to CGC

where we could ask straight question about coming

to Fan expo Toronto and Wizard Toronto

That will be appreciate...

And if there is a need for someone to step up

and do the leg work for CGC

Let me know

I will be more than happy to help.

Just let me know

who to speak...

and what to do...

Many Thanks...[/font]

(thumbs u

This thread is taking a turn and it doesn't really need to.

CGC makes their decisions based on return on investment (time and money). If they decide that Fan Expo is not the show for them this year that is entirely their business. That's the long and short of it.

I can say that I personally saw Tiz in Philly talking to Harshen about trying to get him to do the show.

CGC has a close relationship with Wizard (just based on what I can surmise) and they make their decisions based on what is best for them.

There's not much more to say other than it is CGC's call.

I can't understand why anyone would think anything otherwise at this point. I don't even see why it's a discussion.

(shrug)

I can't understand why anyone would think anything otherwise at this point. I don't even see why it's a discussion.

(shrug)

[font:Book Antiqua]Sorry Roy...

Its because...

In Fan Expo

we, as fan we can get the siganatures of:

Joe Andy & Adam Kubert....

Ed Mcguinness

Jackson Guise

Jeff Smith

Tony Moore

Immonem, Coipel, Mcniven, Cheung, Djurdjevic... Etc...

And with Wizard we can have...

Gemma Files

Brent Hayward

Sèphera Girón

Enrica Jang

And you can ask... WHO...?

and yes... you are right...

WTF... they are...[/font]

Right, but the question should rest with CGC not with Fan Expo.

(shrug)

[font:Book Antiqua]That is correct...

That is why I am asking a CGC Staff member

to come forward... and join us in this conversation

and let the CGC Forum community

understand why they decide to come to Wizard con

and Not to Fan Expo...[/font]

I guess the easiest way to get an answer is to either call them or send them a question via "ask CGC" and post their response here.

(shrug)

They don't read all the threads so they may not keep on top of this conversation even if it is on their chat forum.

I guess the easiest way to get an answer is to either call them or send them a question via "ask CGC" and post their response here.

(shrug)

They don't read all the threads so they may not keep on top of this conversation even if it is on their chat forum.

[font:Book Antiqua]Maybe they don’t read all the threads...

But they read enough thread

to give some strikes

or ban forever some members

And I am sure

this thread

is not under CGC Radar

All I am asking

is to them to come forward

and to have in a polite way

a public conversation

with ALL the forum members

about this topic....[/font]

Sorry if I've missed something as I haven't kept up with this entire thread.

Mods usually catch on to someone and give them a ban or a strike because someone has hit the "notify" mod button and the mods all get an email flagging that thread.

If the notify button is not pushed a thread can fly under the radar for weeks or months with nobody noticing.

Again, all it takes is 1 phone call or an email to get an answer.

I don't understand why it's so difficult for someone who has a serious interest in them showing up to pop the question to them.

O.K it's my turn..

I am in Philly this weekend. I have had a quick

chat with a few people from CGC. They are very

busy with on-site grading. We are gonna try to get together

and discuss Fan Expo.

A few quick points

1) The bigger than Stan Lee will not happen

this year. I have been working on 3 creators for a

few months and due to a variety of reasons

it just didn't work out for any of the 3 this year.

I have failed and regret making the statement.

BIGGER THAN STAN LEE,

2) What is wrong with you people?????

Demanding from us that CGC attends Fan Expo!!!

Really??? Seriously ????

Contact them.. Ask them why? Not us..

Thanks

Tiz And Kevin,

Thank you for trying to talk with CGC or at least arrange something for Fan Expo.

You are very welcome.

I am sure all of us on the CGC Forums would be thrilled if you were able to convince CGC or an affiliate "like" DWC to come(I would prefer an Affiliate to take my books since I will not be able to make FanExpo this year).

I don't do that (convince)!!

I do suggest to comic creators to attend Fan Expo cuz that's my job :)

As for asking them why. I have done that on the phone and in email. As per one of my previous posts :

I even offered up 20+ books for grading and was still given the same info "NO".

Books will be done at Fan Expo!! and a lot more than 20

I have checked with :

CGC - Eric Downton :I am sorry, but we have no plans to attend FanExpo at this time. Canadian shows unfortunately do not always pay the bills and we have not had luck with FanExpo in the past. It is possible that may change as we get closer to the date, but I do not expect it to change.

I'm not sure what to make of this statement.

DWC: will be traveling between Conventions at that time

:(

NYComics: will not be attending this event either.

:sorry:

Looks like we will not have anyone taking SS subs for FanExpo :(

Again lots of SS books will be done at Fan Expo. I'm fairly certain of that.

There are many account holders in Toronto/Canada that have arranged for a CAW already or will be doing so shortly.

If you know another company that would be willing to attend and take SS Subs; I do not have a problem asking them via phone or email. :)

I would ask in the Signature Series forum

Best wishes with FanExpo - CGC or No CGC :whee:

Thank you for the best wishes. Should be a lot of fun.

Your telling me.

CGC makes their decisions based on return on investment (time and money). If they decide that Fan Expo is not the show for them this year that is entirely their business. That's the long and short of it.

Very well put.

I can say that I personally saw Tiz in Philly talking to Harshen about trying to get him to do the show.

Thanks for posting this. I have know Harshen a very long time. I consider him a friend.

We had a couple of quick chats about Fan Expo. He like everyone else from CGC were very busy with on-site grading, so the conversation will continue this week.

CGC has a close relationship with Wizard (just based on what I can surmise) and they make their decisions based on what is best for them.

I have been aware of this for years

Could not have said it any better.

Another very fine point.

(shrug)

Very nice seeing you this past weekend Roy.

(shrug)

Exactly. Bottom line is, submissions from the show obviously don't cover the the cost of doing it for CGC. That's a bummer for those of us that would submit, but it is what it is.

Even DWC couldn't work it into their schedule.

(shrug)

Exactly. Bottom line is, submissions from the show obviously don't cover the the cost of doing it for CGC. That's a bummer for those of us that would submit, but it is what it is.

Even DWC couldn't work it into their schedule.

That very well could be the bottom line... But the big confusion for me and probably a lot of others who are local is ... if this is the case why do they come for Wizards which (no offense to them) is a much smaller scaled show with way less CGC submission potential. (although I did attend this past spring and loved the fact they were there to witness my Golden sketch)

Just making a logical point here... I don't mean this to add fuel to this dead horse fire. I am just going to continue checking this thread to see if CGC actually responds with their real reasoning which may or may not make sense. It does not matter in the end as it is their choice and they cannot be forced to attend (no matter how many of us would love them to). As the show date draws near I will decide if I am attending or not and for me CGC's presence will be a strong factor in that decision. And if I do not attend because CGC was not there that is no-one else's fault or problem other than my own.

At least I can take some comfort in knowing I will see CGC at Wizards again next spring ;)

That very well could be the bottom line... But the big confusion for me and probably a lot of others who are local is ... if this is the case why do they come for Wizards which (no offense to them) is a much smaller scaled show with way less CGC submission potential. (although I did attend this past spring and loved the fact they were there to witness my Golden sketch)

Because all the Wizard shows are in the US. Crossing the border requires a broker, additional paper work, addtional costs (it costs nearly double to fly into Canada than it does to stay within the US...I know, I fly out of Buffalo instead of Toronto all the time) and possibly even less submissions as CGC may have a stronger market within the US.

Because all the Wizard shows are in the US. Crossing the border requires a broker, additional paper work, addtional costs (it costs nearly double to fly into Canada than it does to stay within the US...I know, I fly out of Buffalo instead of Toronto all the time) and possibly even less submissions as CGC may have a stronger market within the US.

Acually there not all in the US. check out :

Toronto March 2012

Roy I know you have been busy with Philly and other threads but it was confirmed a week ago that CGC already is scheduled for Wizard World Toronto in March 2012. So it cannot be solely for financial reasons that CGC is not attending Fan Expo (it is possible that Wizard subsidizes their participation - who knows).

This is what fueled the many conversations that occurred here along with the fact that Hobbystar was not answering questions directly or at all until things became heated: i.e. the "NON-BIGGER GUEST", no SS witness coordinated/confirmed, shipping costs for tickets, etc.

I have personally spoken to several people that were genuinely insulted by the lack of effort on Hobbystar's part to simply be honest and forthcoming regarding what was happening with the show along with Aman's obtuse attitude towards customers, especially those that are members of this forum.

In the end my comments, although harsh at times, brought to light that there was no BIGGER THAN STAN GUEST, that some of the fees were questionable, that they really did not know why CGC wasn't attending and that not having a SS witness had to be top of mind for Fan Expo if CGC wasn't coming considering the current guest list (Tiz is trying from what I understand).

I said I was not going to post again in this thread but at some point I had to clear the air and point out the facts.

Acually there not all in the US. check out :

Toronto March 2012

That is what I was referring to... I meant to say "why do they come for Wizards TORONTO which (no offense to them) is a much smaller scaled show" hm

Sorry, yes I was travelling and I missed that WW Toronto announcement.

In that case, it might be their relationship with Wizard that made it happen. Maybe they have to limit it to one Canadian show, who knows?

I give up.

(shrug)