• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting my list ready for convention season! posted by GarciaM25

3 posts in this topic

Wizard World and MegaCon, here I come!

SO much planning is going in to this convention season because, well, last year I just didn't plan at all, attending my very first comic convention, MegaCon, in Orlando, FL. Living so close, in Orlando, is definitely going to help out with the two I have planned out already. This year, I'll be first attending Wizard World in Miami in February and then MegaCon, and if everything works out, SDCC in July, though my girlfriend and I already have hotel reservations for Puerto Rico during that weekend (or doesn't work out, might be!).

Last year, I hastily through together some comics I wanted artists and writers to sign at MegaCon, and though I had some great covers graded with CGC, I had a lot of mishaps along the way too. I had TWO great covers of G.I. Joe #2B (2009), the Adam Hughes Baroness Virgin Variant Covers ruined because they must have got too hot and the crazy IDW film they put over top started coming up.... Anything that has to do with "Virgin," "Hughes," and "Baroness" has got my attention, and I loved those covers, still having both Hughes and Chuck Dixon sign one for me, but couldn't have it graded like I wanted to.

This year, I'm getting rid of all my issues processed through CGC before the convention season starts, that way I am only paying for Signature Series stuff at the conventions. On the final day of 2010, I signed up to be an Associate level member of the Collector's Society so that I can have my own submissions done online and get a discount on that too, so that helps a bit. The image below is a SMALL cutout of my Microsoft Excel comics spreadsheet that has the comics matched with those who will sign them, which ones I have and don't have, and which ones are good enough for CGC grading once signed. So far, not including a few Stan Lee signatures listed, I have 7 comics to get graded between the two upcoming conventions, and that's a good start. Before I heard about Stan Lee attending MegaCon, I was planning on burning up (not literally) all my blank sketch covers with commissioned sketches at WW Miami or MegaCon, but considering the costs to do sketches AND grading AND Stan Lee's 4+ signatures I'll be buying, that's gonna be a lot to handle all at once.... So I'll save them for a time where Stan Lee won't be the center of my focus, like next year, haha!

Until next line............

See more journals by GarciaM25