• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Area's Comic Stores

1 post in this topic

We've discussed before everyone's LCSs but I thought I'd ask everyone what they're looking for in an LCS. What are your expectations? What do you generally find?

I think my problem stems from the fact that I live in a major city (Philadelphia) that as I have often said, is quite possibly one of the worst in the nation for its size, for comic books (and other stuff like foolishly running the Real World out of town, but that's another story). I'm constantly frustrated by the lack of any quality stores in the area, and this weekend, spent it driving to the surrounding areas checking out local stores.

First is the new product market. The books should be on the shelves on time (barring forces outside the owner's control), neat and orderly, and with an ample stock of copies (I'll explain this last one in a minute). Second, the staff should be friendly and helpful. I don't want a used car salesman, but the staff should have some knowledge of the product they're moving. Third, there should be some back issues available, somewhat organized and priced. Fourth, the store should do something to get involved with its customers, be it promotionally or just interacting with them.

There are basically three stores in Center City, Philly:

Out of Time Comics: is basically a skeleton store. It has new books, but rarely gets enough copies of anything (i.e. they bought 10 - 15 copies Batman 619, the last Hush piece, and sold out in 45 minutes). It has plenty of trades but don't expect much in the line of a sales or a discount program. In today's market, when you can buy trades at shows for 50% off, why in God's name would I buy a trade for cover plus sales tax. I don't expect a non stop sale, but twice a year would probably do wonders for business. The staff seems to know very little about comics and they basically rely on comic related apparel and trades to generate the stores' sales. No back issues.

Showcase Comics (Atomic City) South St.: This store is messy, but not unexpected being on South St. They also seem to have a problem ordering enough copies of... well anything. I will say that if you go on Wed., you will probably get what you're looking for... any other day is a shot in the dark, so it's not as bad as Out of Time. Many times they have kids in the middle of the store doing gaming, which is fine, except they don't do a great job with the noise control. They have a lot of trades on the wall which are kept relatively well stocked. They don't carry premium items like hardcovers or special items, and you'd have to pre-order it. Looking for an Archive or a Masterwork? good luck finding it there. statues? busts? nice try. only rarely will they have leftovers. They do have back issues that are in the ball park of reasonable prices. The staff is moderately knowledgable about the product, but the problem here is that they think they understand back issues better than they do AND they're not terribly good at grading. They have a "hobbit" who basically comes in and works the back issues for them and when I see him at the local Philly show I just cringe... his terrible lack of knowledge there just comes shining through when surrounded by people who actually know the market. But, the staff does love comics, so I'll give them credit there unlike....

Fat Jack's Comiccrypt:

where everyone is bitter at life. This has to be the most unfriendly staff anywhere. And believe me, I'm not the person who came up with this idea. Several other people told me this before I ever set foot in there, and boy were they right. The trouble is, here in Philly, they're the only game in town really. Massive back issue selection (though they very rarely get new acquisitions), new product constantly stocked, and a wide selection of pretty much everything. Not too big on the premium items, but they would order it if need be. I will shop here, but only out of necessity. And it's rare I feel I need to go to the comic store when it's such a painful experience. The staff is moderately knowledgeable (though the register jockeys seem like the guys from High Fidelty, except these guys don't know anything about comics) when it comes to back issues, but in no rush to help. If you live in Philly and need to have a consistent, reliable source for back issues, go here... but get in and out fast.

So... getting back to this weekend...

Wade's Comic Madness (Levittown PA)

Is an okay store. Lots of back issues in some form of organization. Lots of 50 cent/dollar bins. Plenty of marked down books (and not garbage either, some real quality finds like early JSAs for a dollar or two, some 70s books for $2 and other good finds) and a smattering of wall books. The staff is very friendly and helpful and knows the product. The gaming and kids are kept downstairs and out of the actual store most times. There is PLENTY of stock. Most stores here sold out of Superman/Batman #8. These guys had stacks after selling stacks and three copies flew while I was there. Iron Fist #1 sold out everywhere else? Nope, about 10 copies left. And the product moves for them. The back issues are accurately graded and priced accordingly, not everything just tagged at NM guide cause it's modern. My one criticism is that the place looks like a bomb hit it. There was a dog wandering the floor and a dog dish with food out... a little strange for a business. The store has plenty of space and could be MUCH better organized and cleaner... however, if I was a little closer, Wade's would be my choice. They run sales, promotional events and it seems like a fun, fun place where people are still upbeat about comics.

Ontario St. Market (Philly):

Did you see Unbreakable? If you did, you'll be happy to know that the store in that film is the Ontario St. Market. It was selected because it was the store in Philly that looked the dumpiest. AND you won't even find good deals. The store is unorganized... most books aren't bagged and boarded. There's very little quality silver or bronze and books (in general) are priced outrageously for how much work YOU, the consumer have to do, just to find them. 'Nuff said.

Showcase Comics (Bryn Mawr):

Okay, this store is probably the best in the Philly area. Tons and tons of new books organized with two shelves of new releases and another six devoted just to recent new book overstock. Incredible store. Huge selection of trades, hardcovers, rare out of print hardcovers and unique items. Large selection of wall books priced accurately to guide. No NMs just sitting there (although there were some beautiful Byrne X-Men on the wall) but when there have been, you can have them for guide... making it worth your while to check them out. The staff is very friendly and anxious to help out. They have a large gaming following, and balance their space well without either group feeling crowded by the other. They have an awesome back issue selection and make an effort to continuously buy more stock. Not much in the line of statues, busts or action figures, but they have a subscription service that actually offers a modest (10%) discount... basically to offset sales tax. Actually, now that I think of it, this is probably the best store in this area, but unfortunately, it's a 25 minute drive to get there.

Legends (Plymouth Meeting Mall)

The store is ok. They often under order new items, don't carry much in the line of statues or busts and have a small number of trades to offer (comparable to what most stores offer these days). They have a huge selection of (consignment) wall books that they can't really budge much on price. They do have a number of beautiful DCs on the wall as well as records, rare paperbacks and other assorted paper/magazine goods. Legends also stocks a huge amount of back issues, but they are lazy in pricing. There is little inspection of the books, and you have to be careful. Ask to open every book... otherwise you end up getting burned. The grading of their wall books is spotty too. Sometimes it's on the money, other times it's way, way off. I've noticed their recent acquisitions have been much more loosely graded. The staff though, is probably one of the best. Super friendly and very, very knowledgeable about comics (not grading, comics). It's a great mall store.

Comics and More (King of Prussia Mall)

Why this store is still in business is beyond me. They carry 80s X-Men as their wall books, carry very few back issues of any note, sell out of new books quickly and never offer any incentive to come in the store. They have a wide array of trades. The staff is amiable, but not very knowledgeable about comics, and I'd suspect you'd have a hard time finding anything special. Skeleton store, and for a comics store in one of the biggest malls in the country, you could do so much more. This is an example of where the owner has gotten lazy, and lacks any vision with how to make his store the kind that would draw even more business.

Comic Collection: (Feasterville, PA)

This store boasts a well stocked line of new books and fairly good stock of trades, hardcovers, busts and statues. The only detraction of the whole store is that it's got no organization. It's small, so that's not entirely the store's fault, but there is so much crammed in, it's hard to look. They have a wide array of back issues and the pricing is odd. Some books are priced well below guide in spectacular condition. Others are beaters priced well over guide. Hard to figure. The staff is friendly but faking how much they actually know about comics sometimes. the owner is very knowledgeable about back issues and the like though. This store is worth a trip if you are in the area, but expect a death trap as you try and pull out of the parking lot.

So there you have it... if you're near Philly or in the area, I'd love to know your experience with stores here or if you can point me somewhere different. I'd love to know, as I said, what everyone else is looking for.

this was a rediculously long post, but it's a good time killer while watching the hoop action.