• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened in this pulp auction?

16 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320638795265&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This is an auction I was tracking and I would have thought this would have been a $200 book tops. Even if it was flawless it should gone for half this final price. Is there something I'm missing? There are a couple of low feedback bidders, but acidgothic has been long time pulp seller on ebay with 100% postive feedback, so I wouldn't think shilling is going on, especially not to this level. He immediately put another different copy up for sale after that one ended - I don't blame him.

lol The Black Stone is a great story - one of REH's best. It's nice to have a protagonist in a Cthulhu mythos story that actually does something and takes action when the shoggoth hits the fan instead of just curling up in a fetal position and going insane.

I will reread "The Black Stone' this weekend!

It's an interesting story if you're familiar with REH and HPL's correspondence, as it seems to be a direct result of an exchange of letters between the two discussing Margaret's Murray's The Witch Cult in Western Europe.

That's what I thought at first, but I carefully compared the images and it's not the same. This second copy also has a faded spine, but it doesn't have the moisture stain in the llc and the cover wrap is slightly different. The buyer of the first one (2 feedback) has already left feedback on the first one. Does anyone know who acidgothic is? I'm pretty sure I've bought pulps from him before with no porblem, but I can't remember for sure.

[font:Arial Black]It is NOT the same book.

Before you jump to any conclusions, you should first check out the images side by side and then come to a decision.

Dave Kurzman is a straight shooter, and has been breaking up and selling his personal Weird tales run, some which he had doubles.

Dwight [/font]

Yes...I know Dave Kurzman. Purchased pulps from him. My apologies for this oversight.

I never indicated that Mr. Kurzman did anything wrong either.

No reason to shout on these boards. That is in very poor form Dwight.

meh

Yes, when I saw the second listing my first thought was that low feedback thrill bidders had run it up and not paid. I didn't think it was any wrong doing on the part of the seller. On the contrary, everything points to a legit sale - it's the amount that has me baffled.

Dwight, what's your take on it?

[font:Arial Black]Stephen, sorry about that, I actually I wasn't intending on shouting out, just pointing out, and giving advice because of my own foopa, where I once actually bid on a Shadow pulp a few years back (on ebay) and didn't win.

The guy listed another copy and I didn't realize it was different, but unlike you who just made a comment, I actually blasted him in an ebay memo and was set straight..so that was my foopa...or "foot in the mouth" event.

That being said, the prices on some of these Weird Tales are stunning. There are certaily some passionate Weird Tales collectors.

One suggestion - One guy probably puts in a snipe bid that thinks he can't be beat with just to be on the safe side, a second guy does the same, and whammo.....or because there is a popular author & story in that issue that commands higher dollars, or 2 collectors just happen to need the issue to finish off the run.

In any event, that price does seem abnormally over-the-top for that issue. I could see the first Conan or the Batwoman issue going that high.

It reminds me of a 2-3 guys who were going nuts on Spicy pulps a few years back, and were routinely paying 1K - 2K for Spicy pulps.

Dwight[/font]

[font:Arial Black]Stephen, sorry about that, I actually I wasn't intending on shouting out, just pointing out, and giving advice because of my own foopa, where I once actually bid on a Shadow pulp a few years back (on ebay) and didn't win.

The guy listed another copy and I didn't realize it was different, but unlike you who just made a comment, I actually blasted him in an ebay memo and was set straight..so that was my foopa...or "foot in the mouth" event.

That being said, the prices on some of these Weird Tales are stunning. There are certaily some passionate Weird Tales collectors.

One suggestion - One guy probably puts in a snipe bid that thinks he can't be beat with just to be on the safe side, a second guy does the same, and whammo.....or because there is a popular author & story in that issue that commands higher dollars, or 2 collectors just happen to need the issue to finish off the run.

In any event, that price does seem abnormally over-the-top for that issue. I could see the first Conan or the Batwoman issue going that high.

It reminds me of a 2-3 guys who were going nuts on Spicy pulps a few years back, and were routinely paying 1K - 2K for Spicy pulps.

Dwight[/font]

Glad I'm not crazy. I could maybe see it going that high if it were uber high grade - a true vf, or a key like you said, but for a non-Conan REH story and a CAS story with a Senf cover, I don't get it. It will be interesting to see what happens with the second copy.

Jeff