• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #39 CGC 9.4 OW/W - SOLD!!

40 posts in this topic

damn...that will flip for some nice $

If it wasnt cracked I would have kept it :frustrated:

Reholder it for like...$11. (shrug)

Dont want to take a chance of it coming back lower. My luck with CGC has been terrible lately.

Can't come back lower. You're not re-grading just re-holdering. Get the 14 btw?

Actually, it can. If the book doesn't match the grade on the label they can drop the grade.

only if the corners are compromised though right? thats just a crack so I doubt there would be any chance of coming back lower (shrug)

Really? I've never heard of that. I thought re-holder was to re-holder, no grade change.

Nope. If the book changes condition in the well, if they miss something first time around (sorry about the PLOD) or if their grading standards change they will change the grade. That is why they have the legal disclaimer on the label.

Hypothetical, but lets say you stored your CGC 9.8 in the sun and the cover faded. They will regrade the book accordingly.

Really? I've never heard of that. I thought re-holder was to re-holder, no grade change. (shrug)

Nope,CGC can and will change a grade if they deem the book deserves it due to damage or other "circumstances".Even a Reholder or Page Quality review can result in a lower grade if an older book with a grade of 9.0 or higher with any form of "Tan" pages is involved.8.5 is the cap there now,and a book will automaticly get dinged down to that grade,no matter what it was previously slabbed.

I talked recently to CGC about this,and it can/does happen with re-holders and page quality reviews.

Dont want to take a chance of it coming back lower. My luck with CGC has been terrible lately.

Actually, it can. If the book doesn't match the grade on the label they can drop the grade.

only if the corners are compromised though right? thats just a crack so I doubt there would be any chance of coming back lower (shrug)

Really? I've never heard of that. I thought re-holder was to re-holder, no grade change.

Nope. If the book changes condition in the well, if they miss something first time around (sorry about the PLOD) or if their grading standards change they will change the grade. That is why they have the legal disclaimer on the label.

Hypothetical, but lets say you stored your CGC 9.8 in the sun and the cover faded. They will regrade the book accordingly.

Really? I've never heard of that. I thought re-holder was to re-holder, no grade change. (shrug)

Nope,CGC can and will change a grade if they deem the book deserves it due to damage or other "circumstances".Even a Reholder or Page Quality review can result in a lower grade if an older book with a grade of 9.0 or higher with any form of "Tan" pages is involved.8.5 is the cap there now,and a book will automaticly get dinged down to that grade,no matter what it was previously slabbed.

I talked recently to CGC about this,and it can/does happen with re-holders and page quality reviews.

Never knew that. The only books I've ever submitted for re-holder were Golden-Age books, and I've submitted about 30. Not one has ever come back with a lower grade or a different page quality. That's why I always thought re-holder meant re-holder and nothing else. Thanks for the clarification.

Never knew that. The only books I've ever submitted for re-holder were Golden-Age books, and I've submitted about 30. Not one has ever come back with a lower grade or a different page quality. That's why I always thought re-holder meant re-holder and nothing else. Thanks for the clarification.

A reholder is a reholder. Unless the book suffered serious SCS damage, its not going to be regraded. A reholder doesn't even go through the same process as a book in for certification, and generally is processed in 5-7 days or less. I've reholdered dozens of books, and never once did I not get in back in two weeks or less, with the exact same grade, page quality, and serial #.

A reholder is a reholder. Unless the book suffered serious SCS damage, its not going to be regraded. A reholder doesn't even go through the same process as a book in for certification, and generally is processed in 5-7 days or less. I've reholdered dozens of books, and never once did I not get in back in two weeks or less, with the exact same grade, page quality, and serial #.

Off the CGC website regarding reholder:

** Reholder service is for a chipped, scratched or cracked holder that has not been opened or had its seals broken. We will place your comic in a new holder.

NOTE: All Reholder submissions are subject to review for tampering and accuracy of grade.

I think they simply are inspected for a few seconds by one person to decided if anything odd is there to consider regrading it. I'd bet 99% of the time it is that fast and boom, it's off to reholder and return it. The insignificant number of instances of that one person deciding to divert it to regrade is not worth worrying about, IMO.

If they open a case with damage to a LR corner and see a good sized ding on that corner of the book, that would seem logical to expect it to be regraded.

Congrats Dan and Brian, that's a beautiful NM book.

:applause:

I think they simply are inspected for a few seconds by one person to decided if anything odd is there to consider regrading it. I'd bet 99% of the time it is that fast and boom, it's off to reholder and return it. The insignificant number of instances of that one person deciding to divert it to regrade is not worth worrying about, IMO.

If they open a case with damage to a LR corner and see a good sized ding on that corner of the book, that would seem logical to expect it to be regraded.

I agree with you on this, Don. The thing I don't get is how an untampered Universal can be sent to be re-holdered and come back a PLOD? Seems to me like CGC would be shooting itself in the foot, no? (shrug)

I agree with you on this, Don. The thing I don't get is how an untampered Universal can be sent to be re-holdered and come back a PLOD? Seems to me like CGC would be shooting itself in the foot, no? (shrug)

I dont know either. I'll post the book with the old label when I get it back. I wanted to start a thread here, but Im sure it would get taken down quick!

If they notice second time around that the book has restoration and do nothing, then they would be acting in an unethical manner.

If they notice second time around that the book has restoration and do nothing, then they would be acting in an unethical manner.

I agree - But I just think that they are too inconsistant! As many Old Labels that I have sent in that went up, just as many went down. They are supposed to set the standards. Missing resto the 1st time around is unacceptable. How many others are out there that have resto on them?? When you buy a CGC graded book, you should be able to have 100% faith in the grade!

I dont know either. I'll post the book with the old label when I get it back. I wanted to start a thread here, but Im sure it would get taken down quick!

I can second the idea that an old label Blue can come back a new label Purple.

Or, in my case, CGC offers to "remedy" the situation. But that's a thread for a different day.

As for a reholder, I'll stand by my comment. If there is no obvious discrepency with the grade, it's a straight reholder 99% of the time.

Amazing Spiderman #39 - 9.4 off white/white pages

90 day average - $2242

Last sale - $1650

Im asking $1500 shipped US or Canada (overseas pays exact)

:takeit: trumps any PM's

Case has a crack on the back bottom corner (pictured)

:takeit:

this is not the pacific coast book i'm looking for. :baiting:

I guess I've been lucky so far. (shrug) I had 1 book that had a SCS/Slab damage. The book was sliding off the clip, bended a few of the pages that was sticking out and after it was sent in for re-holder. It still came back the same grade and the same page quality. The only difference was the serial #. Maybe the few bend pages wasn't that bad, so no grade drop. I don't know..... (shrug)

Or, in my case, CGC offers to "remedy" the situation. But that's a thread for a different day.

As for a reholder, I'll stand by my comment. If there is no obvious discrepency with the grade, it's a straight reholder 99% of the time.

99% of the time in normal situations,i agree.

BUT, I can tell you for 100% that if you send in an Old Label 9.0 or higher with Light Tan Pages or LT/Ow or any combination of LT pages,for nothing more than a "reholder",you are going to get a 8.5 back.

Guaranteed.

CGC cap on grade is 8.5 with that page quality,where is was higher previously.

I talked to CGC extensively on the phone about this.

I'm sure other certain "defects" have changed grading standards over the years also,and would be dealt with in the grade upon "reholder" as well.

BUT, I can tell you for 100% that if you send in an Old Label 9.0 or higher with Light Tan Pages or LT/Ow or any combination of LT pages,for nothing more than a "reholder",you are going to get a 8.5 back.

Guaranteed.

I'm sure other certain "defects" have changed grading standards over the years also,and would be dealt with in the grade upon "reholder" as well.

I guess this is a rather recent change in policy. I can attest to the fact that about two years ago, an old label GA book with "Light Tan to OW" pages was sent in for reholdering. The book was actually brittle, because there was about 4-5 dozen paper flakes and chips in the well itself. It was as obvious as day that the books interior had been badly deteriorating in the 8 years it had been certified.

It came back with the same grade, same page quality, and same serial #....CGC didn't do anything about it at all. (shrug)

Guaranteed.

I guess this is a rather recent change in policy. I can attest to the fact that about two years ago, an old label GA book with "Light Tan to OW" pages was sent in for reholdering. The book was actually brittle, because there was about 4-5 dozen paper flakes and chips in the well itself. It was as obvious as day that the books interior had been badly deteriorating in the 8 years it had been certified.

It came back with the same grade, same page quality, and same serial #....CGC didn't do anything about it at all. (shrug)

Not sure about Golden-Age,and i'd say that your book was likely re-slabbed before Borrock left and things changed?Mid 2008.Was the grade a 9.0+ also?That's where the silver-age standard changed.

I was referring to Silver-Age and newer in regards to the book sold here,and the comments,and the Lt Pages..no Silver-age or new can get higher than a 8.5 now,so don't re-holder a 9.0+ Silver book with LT Pages.

I posted some before and after pics in the Comic Book Grading and resto section for anyone interested