• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your first comic?

81 posts in this topic

What was the first comic you remember purchasing?

Mine was Amazing Spider-man #64

I bought it when I was 8 for 25 cents (Im 29 now). I had it slabbed for nostalgia.....it was a 4.0

does. not. compute.

Amazing Spider-Man #64

maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I don't recall my first comic, but I recall the time. I remember 2 friends in Junior High talking about X-Factor and the return of Jean Grey. My first purchase must have right around the Mutant Massacre time frame.

Star Wars 26 was the first book I remember getting which started my regular comic habit. There were other comics before this, but they were random and didn't lead to the habit. Star Wars 26 is the first issue where I started getting the subsequent issues (27, 28, 29, etc.) at the airbase news stand in Kaiserslautern, Germany. Prior to this, I remember a House of Mystery that had an octopus (or monster with tentacles) on the cover and some kids standing in front of it (which I got at the airport for the long trip to Germany when my dad was stationed there) and some earlier Star Wars comics that must have come in a value pack (Star Wars #10, 11, 12.) Yes, all those comics we bought in Germany had the Mark Jewelers inserts.

It's so hard to nail down an exact issue since it is seems like comics have always been a part of my life.

The first comic I remember reading was a copy of Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #59 that I got with some others from my brother. I thought the Beetle was awesome. I read it numerous times.

The second book I got was a Amazing Spider-Man #281 again with the Beetle, I tried to find the first part to this story #280 forever but my local shop didn't have it. I gave up.

A few years later I saw ASM #316 on the rack at a drug store and loved the cover. After reading that I went back to my local comic shop and wanted a subscription. I had to sign up for at least 5 more titles to get a save slot. I did and been collecting ever since with a short break in the early 90's....my wallet couldn't afford all them fancy covers and variants!!

I have two early memories of buying (or rather my parent's buying for me) comics. Both examples are from the late 70s. I had comics before that but these are my earliest memories of actually buying comics.

It was either a copy Weird War Tales 34 at a local used book store, or a few DC war comics at a show that my dad took me to. Stuff like OAAW 170, 242, SSWS 159, and a couple others. :cloud9:

Wish I could go back to that late 70s show.

:popcorn: Good stuff. I honestly can't remember which book I bought myself. My dad had been bringing me home comics from the store for a couple of years.

Might be this one. Its definately the right time period.

furykingsize7.jpg