• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your first comic?

81 posts in this topic

Astonishing Tales #26 was the first I bought off the rack. It was at the news stand on Fulton Street and Van Siclen Avenue in Brooklyn. A couple of years later that whole building burned to the ground.

deathlok.jpg

Mine was this:

5363753050_95ce8bca32.jpg

So when I had the chance to get this it was a no brainer:

5363140601_ca220460a9.jpg

Now that is just plan sweet!!!

Yea.... thats a perfect ending :cloud9:

Marvel Super-heroes 56, Fantastic Four 165, Amazing Spider-man 153, Hulk 196, Iron Man 82, Marvel Team-Up 41, Marvel Two In One 13 are among the first I bought off the rack. I still have them. No scans handy though except for the MS 56:

marvelsuperheroes56.jpg

Here's one of my first back issues, found in the basement of a house my dad was working on.

strangetales91.jpg

Finally, here's one of the earliest back issues I bought. It was a beater even then, but I could afford it and those early Ditko ASMs really transported me; reading it was almost mystical, the art was gorgeous.

spiderman6.jpg

Great story and pics....

I wish I had some original owner books.... :(

That is the rarest and most awesome prize for a collector in this hobby :applause:

The first comicbook purchase that I made was at a yard sale in the mid 70's. It had a bunch of Amazing Spiderman and Fantastic Fours and a few Hulks. I Think there where about 50 that I got for $2. Befor that my mom bought my comics and they where either Richie Rich, Hot Stuff or Archies.

Befor that my mom bought my comics and they where either Richie Rich, Hot Stuff or Archies.

Imagine a high grade collection of THAT stuff :cloud9:

I've repeated this story a few times but it was a $0.30 Batman comic. I ran to the store with a $1 and bought 3 comics. I was so excited that I didn't realize until I got home that two of the Batman comics were identical.

You were subconsciously hoarding on your first purchase! lol

My first comics were DCs, but the first REAL comic (that I consider) my mom bought for me off the rack was this one, ASM #80. I learned to read from this era of comics. I also bought an FF #94 the same month. My next ASM was #84. I missed #85 and then began a 10-year run with #86 (except for traumatically missing #90) through #205:

asm80.jpg

I had my Dad take me to the LCS a week or so after I saw Batman (1989). I was on the hunt for Batman comics but I saw this cover and had to have it. This cover blew my 12 year mind.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_319.jpg

Been a Marvel zombie ever since.

This Popeye is the first comic I remember buying off the shelf, apparently it is rare :applause:.

I mainly bought Archie and Richie Rich digest as that was all that was available in the small town where I grew up. The first comic I ever purchased at a comic shop was the 4 issues of Batman "Death In The Family" and Magnus vs Predator.

comicsapr2010006.jpg

I had my Dad take me to the LCS a week or so after I saw Batman (1989). I was on the hunt for Batman comics but I saw this cover and had to have it. This cover blew my 12 year mind.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_319.jpg

Been a Marvel zombie ever since.

A few months after my first comic! :headbang: I know in my neighborhood Mcfarlane's art brought in many, many new people. Marvel Zombie's!!

G.I. JOE #1 by MARVEL was definitely one of the first I bought, but the book that got me hooked years later was X-MEN #202 featuring the BEYONDER and SENTINELS. I still have the beat up copy in my possession. Heck, I even got JOHN ROMITA JR. and his pop to sign it.

Some great stories here! I just remembered that I read the French HERITAGE reprints prior to buying the X-MEN #202.