• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: I would be very surprised if this came back a NM+ 9.6

35 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2134781479

sharp it may appear, but there are some areas of the book (namely top left corner, and the area around the staple punctures) which may take this out of NM+ contention. We need some unbiased grading here... maybe the exacting standards of supapimp -- sorry FF, but I couldn't resist raising this topic because this may well be one of the highest yielding unslabbed copies on ebay that I have ever seen -- I know how tempted you must be right now to buy this book!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the slight-moderate tanning outer-edge on the top outer edge of the rear cover (can't tell for certain because the contrast or lighting on the rear cover scan seems artificially saturated).

I see minor problems with three corners (magnified by the size of the scans, of course.). If that's all that's wrong with it, it might be a 9.6. But what bugs me looking at the scans is these sort "ghost" flaws I see. The hint of a non-color breaking spine stress in the building behind the thing- that sort of thing. If any of those are real- forget about it. It also looks trimmed to me. As it stands I wouldn't buy it.

No higher than an 8.5 based on that scan. Nice spine, good looking cover gloss, but obvious wear on the corners, taking it out of NM+ range (est. dropped here to 9.2), wear around the staple holes (9.0), a slightly blunted lower left corner, a slight chip in the upper left corner (to 8.5), an overlapping spine (slight overlap ok). I've had so many books slabbed from my own collection, I'm to the point where virtually every one of my CGC graded books come in at or above my pre-grading, with few exceptions. Hope that helps. smirk.gif

If any of those are real- forget about it. It also looks trimmed to me. As it stands I wouldn't buy it.

really! shocked.gif I don't see any evidence of trimming... I'd be interested to to see what you are seeing... because I haven't noted any defects that may indicate the possibility of a trim.

Mudbudda has a good point. Scroll down the scan and watch the right side of the book. Repeat & you'll detect an uneven cut looking appearance. I thought the same thing, but it's a close call on the trimming. 50-50 chance here.

wow! i'm really learning something about some of the opinions on grading in this forum -- thanks guys for your feedback; I personally don't see anything seriously wrong with the book to take this out of NM contention... i'm just a little reluctant to believe that this book is in the NM+ range.

I don't know what the reserve is, but personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for an unslabbed comic. Why take the risk? So I can get a "deal"? Thanks, but no thanks. Logic and reason always seem to get the better of me.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

I agree on the level of risk; but if this book does come out as a NM+ 9.6, I would argue that it will likely be the best (nothing higher than a CGC NM 9.4 on census), or one of the best copies ever of, what many true FF fans consider to be one of the most important books in the FF chapter. In this light, arguable, it may well be worth the multiples the seller reports in his description.

I still don't see it; i think what you may be seeing is either;

i) an offset interior due to overwrapping (may well have been manufactured this way) which is evident from the front cover artwork stretching well into the rear cover; or

ii) the image was cropped (there is some evidence that this image was cleaned as the colour contrasts seem way too bright and saturated on certain parts of the book). nothing to complain about really from the image cleaning side, as its often the case images are not as aesthetically pleasing fresh out of the flatbed. but trimming -- wow, i honestly cannot take that kind of a leap.

"I agree on the level of risk; but if this book does come out as a NM+ 9.6, I would argue that it will likely be the best (nothing higher than a CGC NM 9.4 on census), or one of the best copies ever of, what many true FF fans consider to be one of the most important books in the FF chapter. In this light, arguable, it may well be worth the multiples the seller reports in his description."

True, but to get a 9.6 and the unrestored label would not be a risk I would be willing to take on this comic. Why not just slab it and if it truly is what it is, then the sky is the limit! It just does not make sense to me. The reserve is just a fraction of the slabbed value--so why not slab it and rather then making a fraction of the value, make a lot more?

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

First appearance of FF in costume; hyper-high grade speciman, and the high res scans to prove it.. I'd say despite the fact that this book is not slabbed, it may well reach about 12-16K; and it would NOT surprise me that some die-hard FF fan will bid higher just to get the book and test the grade.

Some things that may hamper that books yield are the summer months and an ailing economy. Otherwise, taken a few months earlier, this book would probably have commanded if not more than what the seller reports in his listing, then definitely about 20-25K and a minimum of 7x guide. Slabbed, maybe around 10x guide.

no evidence really. It's just paranoia on my part. The top and bottom edges look to fit really well (e.g the top cover edge is practically flush with the interiors) so I start to wonder.

True, but to get a 9.6 and the unrestored label would not be a risk I would be willing to take on this comic. Why not just slab it and if it truly is what it is, then the sky is the limit! It just does not make sense to me. The reserve is just a fraction of the slabbed value--so why not slab it and rather then making a fraction of the value, make a lot more?

you make a good point about risk, but i wouldn't want to sweat a purple label either!! I definitely concure on the argument that unslabbed, this book is a candidate for 5-7x guide. slabbed, this book now becomes a candidate for 10-12x guide with a NM+ score. sweet upsell smile.gif

i can't see a purple label attaining even a NM 9.4 booking.

no evidence really. It's just paranoia on my part.

smile.gif

that's the kind of paranoia that would pay dividends in the event that the book is trimmed, and the seller decides he wants to hold on to it for a few years before slabbing it... YEAH RIGHT... so yeah, I can see the point of sweating it on a book with a premium this book will likely command. my prediction is, if the book meets reserve, it will be relisted as a NM- 9.2 - NM 9.4 and sell for just as much as the buyer paid. however, in the event that this book grades a NM+ 9.6, wow -- especially if its timed around the FF movie -- then WOW x2

It seems like a big risk, the purple label. If the guy is so confident of the grade, he should slab it. Walkthru only takes a week of elapsed time, at most. Concensus here seems to say he'd double his payout. Does he not like money?

But the auction does say he'd buy it back if it didn't come back NM. I wonder if that applies to Apparent NM as well?

I don't have the scratch to take that kind of risk. Maybe Nic Cage could buy it and sell it in October? I bet Heritage would take this additional consignment.

I don't have the scratch to take that kind of risk. Maybe Nic Cage could buy it and sell it in October? I bet Heritage would take this additional consignment.

I think there are many who share your thoughts, and that's likely the motivation the current bidders are likely working on....

Oh, but Bob, "We spent the last week trying to convince him to slab this book, but being a long time collector he believes in giving the buyer a choice in what to do with this gem, and he is not hung up on money."

Seller - "Hey friend, if you slab this NM baby it could possibly mean another $20,000 in your pocket."

Friend - "Please I'm rolling in cash it would be wasted on me."

Yeah right. The other smelly sock in this transaction is how the seller can't beg, borrower or steal the money to buy this book like the others and make back the cost plus a bundle after it's slabbed. It just makes no sense if he believes it to be a true CGC 9.6 book.

Yeah, why not just send it in and then if the guy doesn't like the slab, take it out and then sell it? It does look kind of fishy.

I wish there was a good way to follow up on stuff like this, like what does this eventually come back with and is the buyer really satisfied. 80 characters of feedback doesn't seem to be enough information.

I'll keep watching the auction though!