• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 15*

107 posts in this topic

So how do I go to the census and compare the old list to the updated list to

find out what grade this one recieved. (shrug)

There should be a spot in the upper right-hand corner where you can input a specific date (say 12/15/10). It will show you all of the books graded to that point. Once you print that out you can change the date to say 01/15/11 and it will change the quantities of each grade for that book. That will at least narrow it down to what books were graded in that month and you can choose your guess from there. (thumbs u

:jokealert::grin:

There should be a spot in the upper right-hand corner where you can input a specific date (say 12/15/10). It will show you all of the books graded to that point. Once you print that out you can change the date to say 01/15/11 and it will change the quantities of each grade for that book. That will at least narrow it down to what books were graded in that month and you can choose your guess from there. (thumbs u

Ya think ?

Ya think ?

Was just trying to be funny. I guess it didn't work. (shrug)

LAST CALL FOR ROUND 15

Round 15 closes SATURDAY at 8pm EST

These contestants have yet to send in their grade:

Arcade

BlowUpTheMoon

Burntboy

cheetah

comicwiz

Pontoon

djpinkpanther67

DR.X

Fantastic Thor

Flying Orb

goldust40

gorgoguy

green

Loki

Mark 1

Mr.Diggler

piper

Professor66

r1970d

shiverbones

sterlingcomics

INACTIVE OR WITHDRAWN

1CoolEngineer

AlexH

Avengers4

Batty Scrooge

CaptainOfIndustry

Drakeprimeone

Hawkman

JiveTurkeyMoFo

Johnny G

LimeGreenJelloMan

Nikelspot

october

Scrooge

the shadow knows

Ze-man

As we near the end of ROUND 15, one thing stands out:

The Spectacular Six without a negative round are now the Fashionable FOUR. :o

Two more fall and join the rabble.

Was it you? :eek:hm

Hey Doc...any chance you can post the month/year of publication? THX in advance! (thumbs u

May I ask why?

Little_miner.gif

You paranoid types always expect the worst in other's motives...seriously...I don't even know what this mining means or how it might help one ascertain the grade...let alone have the time to devote to such an endeavor...good to spread the paranoia though...

as the song goes...paranoia will destroya... :devil:

Neither does Joe. He thinks data mining means looking something up, in the census, the heritage archives, past comiclink sales etc. That is not data mining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining

A data mine finds relationships between data that are not predicted or specifically looked for. One could data mine the CGC census data cross referenced with a database of the CCA's censorship notes and discover an unexpected correlation between lower grades and violent content. You might then form a hypothesis - "children most attracted to violent comics tended to take less care of their books" - and conduct research on that basis.

I can't imagine any application of data mining techniques that would A) Be feasible for any boardies to contemplate, or B) Be of any use whatsoever in predicting the grade.

You nerd, with your properly argued and completely valid point, why aren't you like the cool kids with their arbitrary and often soley offensive points?

Whatever pointdexter, why don't you collect funny books as well.......oh you do.......figures!

lol It is occasionally my job to be a massive pedant, and Joe's use of the term 'data mining' has been striking a nerve repeatedly for weeks!

Hey Doc...any chance you can post the month/year of publication? THX in advance! (thumbs u

May I ask why?

Little_miner.gif

You paranoid types always expect the worst in other's motives...seriously...I don't even know what this mining means or how it might help one ascertain the grade...let alone have the time to devote to such an endeavor...good to spread the paranoia though...

as the song goes...paranoia will destroya... :devil:

Neither does Joe. He thinks data mining means looking something up, in the census, the heritage archives, past comiclink sales etc. That is not data mining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining

A data mine finds relationships between data that are not predicted or specifically looked for. One could data mine the CGC census data cross referenced with a database of the CCA's censorship notes and discover an unexpected correlation between lower grades and violent content. You might then form a hypothesis - "children most attracted to violent comics tended to take less care of their books" - and conduct research on that basis.

I can't imagine any application of data mining techniques that would A) Be feasible for any boardies to contemplate, or B) Be of any use whatsoever in predicting the grade.

You nerd, with your properly argued and completely valid point, why aren't you like the cool kids with their arbitrary and often soley offensive points?

Whatever pointdexter, why don't you collect funny books as well.......oh you do.......figures!

lol It is occasionally my job to be a massive pedant, and Joe's use of the term 'data mining' has been striking a nerve repeatedly for weeks!

Massive pendant? Is that the equivalent of a bellend?

Massive pendant? Is that the equivalent of a bellend?

128850768147712271.jpg