• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is restoration preferable?

14 posts in this topic

I am considering whether to submit some Golden Age books and original art for restoration. Given the market trends/purple label stigma, it seems that you are better off keeping an unrestored G/VG even if it could be restored to a VF. However, I am concerned that some of my books may continue to deteriorate unless something is done. In each case, the cost of restoration is not an issue: I am more concerned with what is the right thing to do: when should historically important comics be left as is and when should they be restored?

Case 1: Very rare 1940 book, listed in Overstreet as "only 5 copies known to exist" (Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #4 special edition). One CGC VG+ copy sold on eBay this year for ~$3,800. My copy is in the same range but it has noticable rust at the staple; I am afraid that the paper will fall apart some day unless the staple is replaced. Should I get it fixed?

Case 2: Several 1930's Mickey Mouse Magazines in solid VF range but with 1-2 inch spine splits. This is a common problem with these books (even when pages are well preserved) and I am concerned that the spines will continue to deteriorate unless something is done. Should I settle for the current condition or get them restored? What is the difference between "spine sealing" and "spine reinforcement"?

Case 3: Original 1954 Carl Barks inked halfpage with what appears to be a 1" triangular coffee stain at the lower right corner. I've considered sending this to Susan Cicconi (sp?), except that the stain tells a funny little story: the original owner got it from Barks as a teenager when he (Barks) was not known at all and the drawing was practically worthless, thus he did not take particular care of it. Would you leave it as is or get it removed?

Hi,

The one question that first comes to mind is are you going to sell these items?

My personal opinion is the following.

Case #1 This is a very cool book! I would look into the rust removal as I know that in some cases things can be removed and not considered "restoration". Matt Nelson does restoration removal. If it can not be removed with out being considered restoration I would leave the book alone. A VG unrestored would be better to own then a restored VG.

Case #2 I would leave the MM Mag's alone. These defects as you mentioned are indeed common to them. I personally would rather have a unrestored copy then a higher grade copy that is restored. I had a friend that had a key book restored because it had a small tear on the cover. This book would have graded unrestored VF+. If CGC graded it today it would have a purple label.

Case #3 If the stain bothers you then perhaps have the art cleaned. But, I would talk to a number of art collectors and dealers first to get a feel for this type of work in the marketplace.

Thanks. Although I have no plans to ever sell any of these, I'd obviously prefer not to reduce their value unnecessarily. On the other hand, if restoration could prolong their "lifespan" considerably I'd consider it even if it lowered their value short term.

I'll leave the MM Mags as is.

I'd not restore the original art. As a true original work of art (not just a first printing of what was originally a mass market item) it should be left alone, coffee stain and all.

For the others, I'd let the market for restored books settle down first. Who knows, you might need to sell these for some reason, and unrestored books will be much more liquid (and likely command higher prices) in the immediate term.

Just my 2 cents.

Z.

keep all three unrestored. I dont think any are in immediate real danger and you will take a bath on them as far as value plus it would be shame to do cosmetic work especially on the Mickeys having only small splits Just very careful especially if you store them in mylar snugs its so damned easy to catch a split or tear on the rigi mylar opening

Case 1 - I would check around regarding the rusty staples. If they are bad then the corrosion will spread and you will have some damage to the paper.

Case 2 - in my opinion a VF or so book should not be touched, especially for something like a small splits. If you handle the books properly they should be just fine. A seal is when a split is actually mended. Reinforcement is when supporting material like Japan paper is added to areas that are weakening in order to strengthen them.

Case 3 - Hard call. As far as perception of restoration goes, it is accepted in the fine art world. There, things like cleaning will actually increase a piece's value. This is kind of straddling the border between art and comics. Go with how you feel about the stain, if you have no plans on selling the piece. If it bothers you, fix it. If not, leave it be.

Case 1: The book is from the Golden Age and rare. I'm not a Golden Age comic book collector, and I know that the mentality when it comes to condition is different from a Bronze/Modern collector such as myself, but even so I don't get excited about low grade books, because IMO they are like looking at an ugly woman. Flaws and many of them, very obvious and eye appeal is reduced to well "I'll put a bag over her head". lol! laugh.gif Anyway, before I get in trouble with female posters for being "shallow", I'll get to the main point. IMO, you should have the book restored. The amount of restoration, and type of restoration, is more of an issue to me than if you should have it restored or not. The book is Golden Age (old), rare, and low grade, IMO, these are the books worth restoring. One of the reasons is to keep the book in existance. IMO, a nice looking Golden Age restored book is more desireable than a ugly Golden Age unrestored book. I wouldn't even consider buying the low grade book, but the restored book I would consider. However there is a catch, I would not be willing to pay the same amount of money for a restored book in the same grade as an unrestored book in the same grade. But, with this book you have an advantage, the lack of availability. If it's true that there are only 5 copies in existance (CGC census only shows 1) , then restoration may not be much of an issue due to the actual rareness of the book. I think the most compelling reason is the one you brought up, " I am afraid that the paper will fall apart some day unless the staple is replaced."

Case 2: NO WAY! The books are in solid VF conditon, and the 1-2 inch spine splits are common. If the books were low grade, then that would be another story.

Case 3: I don't know about this one, if you can live with the coffee stain, that might be the best, but if it is so distracting that it takes away your enjoyment of the art, then you might consider it. It would probably be best to do some research before having anything done.

Say, have you watched documentaries on the "Last Supper" painting restoration, or the restored Michelangelo painting in the Cistine Chapel?

Thanks. I'll step carefully around your comparison with an ugly woman smile.gif.

> Say, have you watched documentaries on the "Last Supper" painting

> restoration, or the restored Michelangelo painting in the Cistine Chapel?

Actually, I did study the decay and restoration of porous materials as part of my Ph.D. work and visited the Sistine chapel with my advisor as part of that smile.gif. She wrote a paper in Scientific American about some of our results a couple of years ago (Feb. 2000 issue). So, you are probably right wink.gif.

Well, as a fairly new collector of DC Golden Age, I find Comic Cavalcade is one of the best values out there. Golden Age GL, Flash, Wonder Woman, plus occasional Black Canary, Atom, etc. stories. Toth, Infantino, E.E. Hibbard, Hasen, H.G. Peter art. #24 is almost never seen, it is the final of 4 Solomon Grundy appearances from the Golden Age. I have the other 3 in either original publication or reprint, so this is the one I'm looking for the most right now.

Cheers,

Z.

I agree with MOS. The only thing I would restore is the book in the first case. This may not be a popular decision right now, but books with that kind of scarcity should be restored. If it were a silver age or newer comic, I would say leave it.

I know a lot of golden age collectors who are not put off by proffesionally done restoration. We would all like to have the perfect copies of the books we collect, but CGC has really opened the eyes of many collectors, especially in the golden age market. The fact is, unlike silver there is a lot of gold that simply dosen't exist in high grade. So for those collectors who choose to pursue scarce golden age books, restoration will have to find a place somewhere in even the best collections.

I agree with MOS. The only thing I would restore is the book in the first case. This may not be a popular decision right now

Absolutely. The thing I have an issue with is the blanket condemnation of restoration with no consideration for the circumstances. And to me, rusting staples is a MAJOR reason to ignore the blanket condemnaiton. Because you have two choices: end up with a book that, over time, will have broad stains and eaten paper, or have a book that was "restored" because the rust was removed and the pages were thus saved from any (or further) damage. I would go with number two every time. The integrity of the book is worth much more than a blanket "no" based on current market conditions.