• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comic Con May 21-22 @ Irving Convention Center

172 posts in this topic

Wow this thread got quiet! Nothing but crickets in here!

Anyone have any ideas for a board dinner? We will likely be pretty cashed having driven in from Lubbock (5-6 hours) that morning, but the show closes at 6 so if we set something up for like 7 I can probably still be awake... :wishluck:

Just thought I would throw a little fuel onto the excitement fire. But look for a HUGE announcement regarding a very special opportunity with Stan Lee in Dallas to be made by DWC within the week. :whistle:

:taptaptap:

Wow this thread got quiet! Nothing but crickets in here!

Anyone have any ideas for a board dinner? We will likely be pretty cashed having driven in from Lubbock (5-6 hours) that morning, but the show closes at 6 so if we set something up for like 7 I can probably still be awake... :wishluck:

Jaster-mereel mentioned a Saltgrass Steakhouse earlier in the thread. Looks like it's up near I-635 which isn't very far from the LaQuinta or the con. Any other ideas for a boardie dinner? I'm in. :banana:

fwiw, aLoft hotels is about 1000% nicer than La Quinta and under a mile away from the convention center.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofthotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3098

Rooms available @ $70/night

Saltgrass is decent as far as chain steak places go, but nothing to write home about imho... There are also a ton of places less than a mile south of the convention center in Las Colinas.

As far as eats go, if you like meat, the place would be to drive up to Addison (20mins-ish) and go to Fogo de Chao ( http://www.fogodechao.com/ ), or barring that hit up Boi Na Braza there in Irving ( http://www.boinabraza.com/ ) Fogo is better; both are REALLY good.

Other choices:

Mi Cocina is a good local chain for mexian food ( http://www.mcrowd.com/micocina.html )

The Ranch is pretty good. ( http://www.theranchlc.com/ )

Blue Fish has really nice sushi ( http://www.thebluefishsushi.com/#!__las-colinas )

I've heard Cavalli Pizza is good, but have not been. ( http://www.cavallipizza.com/ )

All of these are better choices than SaltGrass, imho. :shrug:

Fogo would certainly get my vote as jaster and I really love that place. It can just get a bit pricey, so it depends on whether or not everyone is comfortable with about $50 per person. How is parking at the Fogo? FWIW, we hit the Fogo in Austin last year, it is just around the block from WW.

As for the aLoft, it looks good too. Jaster had stayed at the La Quinta and had a good experience so we went with that, but it is always good to have options. For the 2012 con (assuming this one is worth going back to, and it looks to be) we can put a few hotel listings on the first page so out-of-towners like us can see the options. Thanks sl4ppy!

Parking is never really an issue; plenty in back.

And yes, the $50 per plus drinks adds up. Here's a pro-tip: Go at lunch! Only $35, exactly the same menu/experience. :)

Boi Na Braza is basically the same thing as Fogo. IIRC, it's slightly cheaper.

Still trying to firm up plans. Son lives in Red Oak, about 30 minutes out,

wife wants to "visit". Odds are I'll have to pull a long day Saturday, but

still want to crash MrBedrocks domain for a couple of hours Sunday. :wishluck:

Then VACATION the following week to play at Comicpalooza here in

Houston. Evans is gonna be dragging azzs.

Parking is never really an issue; plenty in back.

And yes, the $50 per plus drinks adds up. Here's a pro-tip: Go at lunch! Only $35, exactly the same menu/experience. :)

Lunch would be a good idea price-wise, but I don't know if we would be able to convince all the interested boardies to leave the show for 1.5 hours in mid-day. I wouldn't want to leave, plus if I have a heavy lunch after a 5-6 hour drive in that morning I may as well bring my sleeping bag and pillow because I will be sleeping the Brazillian steaks off all afternoon!

We have a few weeks yet and can see what everyone else wants to do. I am flexible, and would do a Fogo (or Boi Na Braza) dinner if everyone else is cool with that.

Fogo would certainly get my vote as jaster and I really love that place. It can just get a bit pricey, so it depends on whether or not everyone is comfortable with about $50 per person. How is parking at the Fogo? FWIW, we hit the Fogo in Austin last year, it is just around the block from WW.

As for the aLoft, it looks good too. Jaster had stayed at the La Quinta and had a good experience so we went with that, but it is always good to have options. For the 2012 con (assuming this one is worth going back to, and it looks to be) we can put a few hotel listings on the first page so out-of-towners like us can see the options. Thanks sl4ppy!

For those who are live or are staying around the Convention site, driving all the way up to Addison to eat might be a bit much. No problem for me though.

Something closer to the convention center would be ideal to accomodate everyone in IMHYWO. I'll go with the flow though.

The DWC booth will be the CGC booth as well. DWC will be accepting all submissions for CGC and DWC will be acting as the Authorized CGC Signature Series Facilitator for the show. So all Blue Label and Signature Series submissions will be accpeted at the booth. I hope that helps. And look for a really cool announcement to come out soon for another show exclusive.

Great! I need some books to be graded! Just drop off the books? or do we need to package them for mailing first and just tell you what books are being graded?

JUST ANNOUNCED!! :whee:

A Stan Lee/John Romita Jr Meet and Greet at the Dallas Comic Con

Desert Wind Comics is especially proud to announce that we have made arrangements for fans to be able to meet and spend some time with these legendary creators. The event is scheduled to take place Saturday, May 21st at 6:00 p.m. A VERY LIMITED NUMBER of tickets will be offered exclusively through Desert Wind Comics. Go to the DWC Webstore for complete details.

For those who are live or are staying around the Convention site, driving all the way up to Addison to eat might be a bit much. No problem for me though.

Something closer to the convention center would be ideal to accomodate everyone in IMHYWO. I'll go with the flow though.

As far as the dinner goes, I would be up for anything. Local and not crazy expensive would be good (more money for books!). We have about 2 weeks to come to a consensus. Once we make a choice, it would be smart to go ahead and make a reservation too, as a golf tourney is in town, and I would hate to get shut out.

A taste of Addison is going on that weekend as well- Just a heads up incase you guys do plan on eating in the Addison area, It will be pretty packed in the Beltine/Arapho area.

A taste of Addison is going on that weekend as well- Just a heads up incase you guys do plan on eating in the Addison area, It will be pretty packed in the Beltine/Arapho area.

If this is the case my vote would likely be to stay around the area of the con. I am sure there will be something fairly local that will fit our needs/budgets/tastes.

If this is the case my vote would likely be to stay around the area of the con. I am sure there will be something fairly local that will fit our needs/budgets/tastes.

doh! Yeah, totally forgot about that. Addison will be a nightmare. :o