• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby DC titles?

12 posts in this topic

Hey, gang...

Who here is crazy about these titles, Miracle man, Kamandi, New Gods... etc... Why are these going for such insanly low numbers on e-bay? Knowing that New Gods#1 guides at what? $100 and seeing copies sell for like ten bucks is sad, knowing full well that this issue should guide closer to $50, I still wonder... when is the world going to realize how cool this stuff is?

'best

Bronzejunkie

Well, I for one am indeed crazy about these books. I was a little too young to catch them when they first came out, but I well remember in the late 70's trying desperately to find these with the meager resources at my disposal at that time (1 comic shop in town, a local con maybe once a year). Then in the 80's I'm off to college and these things are everywhere in the 50 cent boxes. Sometime in the late 80's or early 90's it seems the Overstreet prices started going up. Then I imagine eBay hit, and a lot of the books that were hoarded upon original release started coming out. I'd guess some of the same speculators that grabbed up the early Conans took the Kirby DC books out of circulation on the theory that this might be similar to early Silver Age Marvel investment material. (Just a guess of course).

My favorite overlooked book of the group? Jimmy Olsen 133-138. What Kirby did in those 6 books could be the basis for an entire line of comics today. (a la CrossGen).

Cheers,

Z.

Ultra-high grade copies of Miracle man, Kamandi, New Gods, The Demon, etc., are everywhere - stores, cons, and ebay. I imagine when The King moved from Marvel to DC and DC started kicking out new series, everyone bought, and bought multiple copies. So, it's a case of plenty of supply to meet the demand.

Jimmy Olsen 133+, on the other hand, are not and alway command a premium.

I'm waiting for you to dump your high grade copies of 133-135 to me!

I don't dump those kinds of books, I allocate them, and I believe they've already been allocated. You've been allocated more than your fair share of the gems anyway! wink.gif

Come on! You must be happy after the fluke win yesterday. Lucky Roberson was hot because Walsh sure wasn't! frown.gif Of course, I am basing this solely on the box score. The CBS feed from the Seattle area is screwed. They seem to sell their 11 PM spots to info commercial spammers! mad.gif At least I got to see Kentucky lose the 2nd game of the double header! smile.gif

BTW, when's your next allocation? tongue.gif

I absolutly loved the Mister Miracle series. The adventures of Scott Free were highly anticipated month after month. The New Gods was another favorite but the storyline seemed somewhat fractured.

Both titles seem to be undervalued...which is why I will buy a high grade #1s whenever I can get a good deal on them... grin.gif

I loved Battle For A Three-Dimensional World, thought I was the only one for some reason, it was like Kirby went a took a big hit from the bong when he heard his drawings would be in 3-D, cool art, weird story. I also remember buying that issue back in like '82? and was amazed at the quality of it's printing, felt like hard plywood compared to most comics of the day, cool stuff... Worth seemingly nothing, unfortunatly.

'best

Bronzejunkie