• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Cal Comic Con 2011 Aug 27th Special Guest "J. Scott Campbell"

25 posts in this topic

The show was hot....and when I mean hot I meant HOT, did the A/C die or is it not available in the gym area? Never saw so many dealers just fanning themselves with cardboard, =-P

Nice prizes this year for those with raffle tickets. Ended up picking up a back-pack full of under $1 books for perusing. By the time I got there just before 1:00 p.m. JS Campbell said he was booked for the rest of the day already, so no more sketches unless you were there earlier I guess. Just got one of my comics signed though.

Were there a lot of people at the Con at the opening? I didn't get one of the goody bags so I'm guess there were a good amount of visitors earlier that day.

Jay, that jam piece was AMAZING! Congrats to you and your son and I'm glad to hear you had a great time.

BaronV, there were definite mechanical issues that day. We had a healthy line at opening, and Campbell's line at the opening stretched all the way down our Artist's Alley. We picked people out of line who just needed autographs, but the line continued until Campbell's sketch list closed. I'm not sure when we ran out of goody bags, but we were definitely crowded between 10-1.

Dang, that's what I get for hanging out with friends in the morning...missing the sketch list line.

I saw him working on a Az-Bats piece when I was there. Anyone know what his sketch rates are in case I ever manage to get on his list?

Nice show again, if you can continue to bring in some A+ guests like Bob Layton from last year and JSC this year, will continue to come on by.

Campbell was charging $300 for a bust shot. I think that's his normal rate for a bust-size drawing at shows nowadays. He always reserves the right to charge less or more, depending on the size of the image he agrees to draw. I don't think he'll do a full figure at a convention, unless it's really empty, and normally, he only does 3-4 in an entire weekend, bust or head shot, so the folks that got sketches at our show did pretty well, I think...

I know the guy that got the Azrael drawing, I think that was his first comic commission, and definitely his first Campbell piece. Hopefully a pic will turn up of the finished product.

We are determined to keep up the pace and bring in cool guests for our Southern California audience, as well as provide a fun and casual atmosphere to buy comics and get sketches. Thanks for your support, hope to see you next year! :)