• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the ultimate comic that you have to have but can't afford?

92 posts in this topic

My dream comic is the Ashcan Action 1. The cover is so magnificent and just to know that the ashcan had a different cover than the actual issue adds to it's allure. I hope to own one one day. I saw one 2 years ago on Ebay. It was a 9.4 for $33,000. I did not think this was a bad price but I could not afford it.

Bo,

There are only three copies of this book known to exist. DC has one in their vault. The book you're referring was sold to a collector whom I provided a letter of provenance. (BTW, it was a 9.0 not a 9.4.) Here's the 9.2 from my collection.

It took me nearly 25 years to acquire the Supergirl ashcan (only know copy) so you could be in for a lengthy wait...

ActionComicsAshcanFC.jpg

:o(worship)(worship) Out of curiosity, which do you think would fetch more money, the ashcan or the Church copy?

Although the Action Comics ashcan's rarity and importance are unsurpassed in the hobby, the market for ashcans has never exploded as it has for regular-issue comics. They're just too rare for a market to develop.

How much is this book worth on the market today? The buyer of the 9.0 bought it privately after the eBay auction was ended early by the seller, so we don't have a confirmed price, but my guess is that if it were to go on the market today that it would bring $60,000 to $90,000. The Church Action 1 may be 50-100 times that amount. It's not even close.

Although the Action Comics ashcan's rarity and importance are unsurpassed in the hobby, the market for ashcans has never exploded as it has for regular-issue comics. They're just too rare for a market to develop.

How much is this book worth on the market today? The buyer of the 9.0 bought it privately after the eBay auction was ended early by the seller, so we don't have a confirmed price, but my guess is that if it were to go on the market today that it would bring $60,000 to $90,000. The Church Action 1 may be 50-100 times that amount. It's not even close.

I never thought about it but that makes a lot of sense. Ashcans are something I wasn't even aware of until 1990 or so and then all I knew was that they existed, had no information that they were even being bought and sold. Thanks for the info, Moondog. (thumbs u

For what it's worth, that ashcan is just about as cool to me. And I guess it doesn't matter because the dentist isn't selling.

I have actually given this a lot of thought and I have come to the conclusion that there is no possible way in this life that I will have the cash for a Tec #27 or Action #1 so my next comic of choice would be Green Giant #1. Of all the Gerber cover books that's going to be the hardest for me to acquire although still possible.

I'm not a GA collector, but the two I have always wanted in mid to HG are Captain America Comics #3 (1st appearance of the name "Stan Lee" in comics), and Mystic Comics #6 (Stan Lee's 1st Superhero creation - The Destroyer)

Batman 1 is the ultimate golden age which I will probably never be able to afford but silver age Spideman 1 and FF 1 are both out of my range and I am happy to find reprints to fill the void. Still hoping to find another coverless Batman 1 remnant. :wishluck:

Batman 1 is the ultimate golden age which I will probably never be able to afford but silver age Spideman 1 and FF 1 are both out of my range and I am happy to find reprints to fill the void. Still hoping to find another coverless Batman 1 remnant. :wishluck:

I'm in the same boat BB :(

Bill, didn't we see pictures of you with two copies of Bat 1? Or was I hallucinating again. (shrug)

As for me, I've always wanted to own a Tec 27.

Bill, didn't we see pictures of you with two copies of Bat 1? Or was I hallucinating again. (shrug)

As for me, I've always wanted to own a Tec 27.

yeah, I've owned quite a few Bat 1s in the past, but the economics of owning a copy anymore have gotten such that it is very unlikely I will own another. Particularly a 2.0 or better, blue, with OW or better pages which is my dream book

I., like most, would like a high grade Action 1 and Tec 27, but unless these books come way down in price I would not buy one to keep even if I could afford it. For me (and not necessarily you) it would be irresponsible, as I don't want them THAT much and that amount of money is better spent on other things; helping family for example.

Prices on certain books have gotten to the point that I realize, barring a life-changing huge financial windfall, I'll never own them. Perhaps this has led me to chose a focus like Archie, GA GGA and cool covers where even the most expensive books are attainable.

So books I can't afford right now but hope to one day:

1. Best CDNP 24

2. presentable PEP 22 and Archie 1

Sigh,a high grade Tales to Astonish 1 or 27.Hoping to stumble

on a LOW(cheap lol ) grade copy of number one. One day. :wishluck:

If you're serious about a low-grade Tales to Astonish 1, I'll sell you one.

Shoot me a PM.

PM sent :applause: