• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is getting creator and actor signatures on the same comic a good idea?

5 posts in this topic

OK, let's say there's a rather nice copy of a Silver Surfer (of FF with silver surfer on cover) early issue with a cover you really like and would like to get a signature on. The story is written by Stan Lee (hypothetically), and you could get him to sign it for SS. BTW, comic kind of middle grade (8tish), more for the cover + sigs than future ROI value.

Now, it so happens that Doug Jones is also available for signing, so, would getting both signatures for SS make sense?

Personally, I sort of feel at odds with this; I keep getting the feeling that in such a case one would get either signatures of people who worked on the comic, or the sigs of the actors on the movie(s).

Would both add value, detract from it, or just satiate one's hunger for sigs?

Everyone has their own taste. I have Daredevil #181 signed by Colin Farrell, Jennifer Garner, and Stan Lee. Neither one of them worked on the book, but Stan co-created DD, Colin and Jennifer were stars in the movie (Bullseye and Elektra, respectively).

I feel the sigs add value to the book, though I don't plan on parting with this one, so I hold it pretty high in my collection.

If given the opportunity, I would definitely add Frank Miller to that copy.

I think this is truly a matter of personal opinion. Go for it if you want it, forget about it if you think its blasphemy.

I'm waiting for my opportunity to buy a Cap book with Evans, Weaving and etc. on it

If the book is for you I think you should get what you like. I have an April Wahlin SS Elvira book. I will bet most people have never heard of her. I love the book.

If you plan on getting signatures to sell then you have to think about it more. Then I believe we should let the madness stop.

Your example is still fine. Stan Lee created the Silver Sufer and Doug Jones played him in a movie. The question is would a Stan Lee/Doug Jones SS Silver Surfer sell?

Thanks for the replies. I think that in the case of selling the book, most likely the new buyer would get it for one (type: comic artist/creator vs. movie actor/personality) of the sigs, and the other would just be like a "freebie"; therefore, the price for the book would have to be almost the same as having only one of the sigs...

I see the same happening with getting sigs for say, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Most I've seen floating around are signed either by Georges Jeanty or part of the cast, but not by both. A Joss Whedon sig on either would add value in both cases as he wrote both the series on TV and the comics...

I'll have to go and do some inner soul searching and think about this... lol