• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Unhappy kids

315 posts in this topic

No, anybody who says otherwise doesn't agree with YOU.

(thumbs u

If you love your children, you will discipline them. There is no "balance", because they are not mutually exclusive terms.

I think some people around here think "discipline" = abuse.

There is a balance to be struck as there is no black and white formula for every possible scenario.

There is NO "balance" between love and discipline, as if they are on opposite sides of a scale. They are not.

If you love your children, you will discipline them. Those who don't love their children ignore them. HOW you discipline them is not my point.

Wrong. You can actually love something too much. You can also not love it enough. You can discipline something too much. You can also not discipline it enough.

Discipline without enough love is punitive punishment.

You're wrong. There is no such thing as "loving something too much" except in a hippie, utopian nonsensical kind of way.

One can NEVER have too much GENUINE love. EVER. I wonder what the Japanese, who are some of the strictest disciplinarians in the world, and who routinely laugh at the incredibly permissive manner in which Westerners raise their children...all the while eating our lunches when it comes to education, the arts, science, etc...would think of this.

Discipline "without love" isn't discipline at all.

Like I said before, I think some people around here define discipline as "abuse." Here's a hint: that's not it.

:screwy:

That's your opinion. Not everyone agrees. Are you right, and anyone who disagrees wrong?

You're ridiculous if you don't think posting a picture of your kids on the internet while punishing them is not ridiculous.

You're ridiculous if you think posting a picture of your kids on the internet while punishing them is ridiculous.

Emotions certainly run high when it comes to parenting.
People think they have a right to tell another person how to raise their child.

It's simply not true.

Suggestions perhaps, ideas, in the end the parent makes the decision. You can't force it.

Unless they do something bad enough that the law has to come in, then it will be dealt with.

Yep. I have had to bite my tongue a couple of times in regards to my grandchild. hm

That's your opinion. Not everyone agrees. Are you right, and anyone who disagrees wrong?

You're ridiculous if you don't think posting a picture of your kids on the internet while punishing them is not ridiculous.

You're ridiculous if you think posting a picture of your kids on the internet while punishing them is ridiculous.

Do you have kids?

It's simply not true.

How do you explain DCFS?

Before this gets lost in the shuffle.....

SOME kids NEED to be punched in the face

Totally AWESOME Sig line/ Custom title material. :headbang:

Do you have kids?

Nope. One does not need to have one's own biological/adoptive children to have raised a child, nor to understand basic principles.

It's simply not true.

How do you explain DCFS?

What the hell is DCFS

Department of Child & Family Services

Do you have kids?

Nope. One does not need to have one's own biological/adoptive children to have raised a child, nor to understand basic principles.

It helps, trust me.

I'll never have a custom again, I suspect. But that's ok, at least I had one for a little while. I'm content.

:cloud9:

Religion

Politics

Parenting

Pressing

...in that order.

Apologies to anyone who may have thought my previous post in this thread (now deleted) was directed at them. It wasn't. Just my overreaction to some of the overreacting in this thread.

Do you have kids?

Are you invoking the uncle principle? They usually know more about parenting than actual parents, so you are on the right track if so.

I also like to hire someone to represent me in court who has seen all the episodes of LA Law, and hire someone to perform surgery because he was a big fan of M*A*S*H.

Wait a minute...you were saying something about ridiculous statements.

:popcorn::popcorn:

It's simply not true.

How do you explain DCFS?

What the hell is DCFS

Well lets see, I would believe it would go something like this:

Bad stuff going on, person reports it to something like that, then they come and and check it out.

Difference between them and us, is they CAN do something about it. We can't. Besides make a report.

I'll never have a custom again, I suspect. But that's ok, at least I had one for a little while. I'm content.

:cloud9:

This one would be awesome, no one would understand it except you and you can revel in the confounding that would ensue.

The parents should have put a pic of the beyblades in action style poses destroying the tub, that would of made the point.

(thumbs u

That is pretty much the crux of this.

Please discuss the merits of discipline and what is discipline and old school and new school parenting but realize that the parents made a decision to post their kids pictures in an attempt to "discipline" them.

Leave the freakin picture off the auction and none of that ever comes up. Being a parent is hard but it is not that hard to take a pause and wonder if this is a good idea.

It's simply not true.

How do you explain DCFS?

What the hell is DCFS

Well lets see, I would believe it would go something like this:

Bad stuff going on, person reports it to something like that, then they come and and check it out.

Difference between them and us, is they CAN do something about it. We can't. Besides make a report.

From experience, the best, most long lasting change does come from family intervening as opposed to the State. The State will remove the kids but never get to the root of the issue. Family can (and should) be able to say things to family that will get to the root of the problem. It's not easy to do, and will cause giant fights, but if it helps a kid get what he needs (discipline, love, help) then it's worth it, no?

Religion

Politics

Parenting

Pressing

...in that order.

Apologies to anyone who may have thought my previous post in this thread (now deleted) was directed at them. It wasn't. Just my overreaction to some of the overreacting in this thread.

It is overreacting, and that's the problem. They're not OUR kids. They're THOSE PEOPLE'S kids. Their lives aren't in danger. They appear to be otherwise healthy.

So why all the hysteria? Someone's opinion about what is and is not right in the rearing of a child...in which the child is clearly not being harmed in any meaningful way...and that spreads and all of a sudden, we have threats of calling CPS on them, and people threatening the rights of these people to raise their children as they see fit.

Insanity!

It's not our business to decide what is and is not "too humiliaiting" for the poor little darlings, and creating an atmosphere of hysteria only legitimizes it in the minds of those who would gladly take it a step further.

Mind your own business.

:sumo: