• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What markers are you using now?

22 posts in this topic

I just use Sharpie markers.

Most sharpies are solvent-based and aren't archival-safe - they'll bleed through & damage paper over time.

If you want to use sharpies for autograph purposes, make sure they're marked as being water-based.

Most sharpies are solvent-based and aren't archival-safe - they'll bleed through & damage paper over time.

If you want to use sharpies for autograph purposes, make sure they're marked as being water-based.

Thanks for the advice Michael :)

That's why I never use sharpies.

Any idea how much faster they damage a comic?

After looking at the pics of the water-based Sharpies, the tips reminded me of some metallic markers I ran across a couple of months ago. I looked at the package, and sure enough, they were described as "archival safe/acid free."

These are much cheaper than the Sharpie markers (around $5.50 for a pack of 8), and best of all, they are buy two, get one free through Saturday at OfficeMax. I could only find them at the store. I could not find them on the OfficeMax website.

office_max_met_markers.jpg

office_max_met_markers_back.jpg

After looking at the pics of the water-based Sharpies, the tips reminded me of some metallic markers I ran across a couple of months ago. I looked at the package, and sure enough, they were described as "archival safe/acid free."

These are much cheaper than the Sharpie markers (around $5.50 for a pack of 8), and best of all, they are buy two, get one free through Saturday at OfficeMax. I could only find them at the store. I could not find them on the OfficeMax website.

I saw these at my local Office Max and it was what actually prompted me to start this topic. I'll have to give these a try.

I saw these at my local Office Max and it was what actually prompted me to start this topic. I'll have to give these a try.
Okay, just picked some of these up and tried them out on both BA & modern books. They seem to need a minute or two to completely dry but they show up very nicely, even on dark covers. Immediately after use it takes a little effort to get them to smudge though and there's no evidence of bleed through at all. For under $12 I'm thinking the buy 2 get one free price is a great deal.