• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 21* Results

75 posts in this topic

2c

I bet ckp1680 graded the book a 7.5 for its accumulation of defects.

You sir, would be correct. Except I went a step further to get my -1 this round. I convinced myself after I had hit shadows 3 times on picasa that I saw water spots :o

If I was right this was my chance to get alone at the top! Lesson learned doh!

I overlooked all that other stuff and focused on those two stupid little spots like they were gold lol

xmen94_back_cover.jpg

Anyone who got a bulls'eye on Avengers #1 can consider themselves clean. Anyone who got a 3 on it is a suspect. hm

All my data is telling me you are tiresome with a capital T. Give it a freakin' rest already...

Anyone who got a bulls'eye on Avengers #1 can consider themselves clean. Anyone who got a 3 on it is a suspect. hm

All my data is telling me you are tiresome with a capital T. Give it a freakin' rest already...

+1

And look up what data mining is. What you are doing ain't it. :sumo:

And if anyone wants to run a quick mathematical analysis, go check out the results from Avengers 1 (only impossible to mine book yet posted) and compare those results to the others.

How many of the "top graders" got a bulls'eye on that one? What was the percentage of bulls-eyes? How many top players got a "3" mark on it (which was *exactly* where the data pointed)? What was the "data spread" and was the eventual grade an overwhelming favorite?

I haven't done it, but I remember looking through and being quite amazed at how many people missed that one. meh

Avengers #1 was round 12. I thought I'd do my homework on that round. I went to CL and anywhere else I could find examples of low graded Av1, compared them all to the contest book, and figured it had to be a 2.0 (maybe 2.5, but I went with 2.0).

Came back 4.0 doh!

Then for the X-Men #94 I had no choice but to grade purely from a pixellated image on my iPhone as I was on a weekend away in the woods. Miraculously aced it against all the odds and my own expectations :whee:

The more work I do, the more often I think myself into the wrong corner. Best approach is always a couple of minutes scanning the edges for defects, then the rest, then stepping back and appraising the whole book (because you don't want to get hung up on highly magnified trouble spots) and giving it a gut grade based on what I've come to expect from CGC graded books.

If you must know, yes I've tried looking at the census. It doesn't help, and I don't even know if the contest books are updated to it yet.

And if anyone wants to run a quick mathematical analysis, go check out the results from Avengers 1 (only impossible to mine book yet posted) and compare those results to the others.

How many of the "top graders" got a bulls'eye on that one? What was the percentage of bulls-eyes? How many top players got a "3" mark on it (which was *exactly* where the data pointed)? What was the "data spread" and was the eventual grade an overwhelming favorite?

I haven't done it, but I remember looking through and being quite amazed at how many people missed that one. meh

Avengers #1 was round 12. I thought I'd do my homework on that round. I went to CL and anywhere else I could find examples of low graded Av1, compared them all to the contest book, and figured it had to be a 2.0 (maybe 2.5, but I went with 2.0).

Came back 4.0 doh!

Then for the X-Men #94 I had no choice but to grade purely from a pixellated image on my iPhone as I was on a weekend away in the woods. Miraculously aced it against all the odds and my own expectations :whee:

The more work I do, the more often I think myself into the wrong corner. Best approach is always a couple of minutes scanning the edges for defects, then the rest, then stepping back and appraising the whole book (because you don't want to get hung up on highly magnified trouble spots) and giving it a gut grade based on what I've come to expect from CGC graded books.

If you must know, yes I've tried looking at the census. It doesn't help, and I don't even know if the contest books are updated to it yet.

You're wasting your time. Trying to change JC's mind is akin to trying to convince Galactus not to eat your planet. If you're Reed Richards, you have a shot, if you aren't, you're screwed.

For Round 21, the scans were posted at 8:28, and Nick submitted his grade at 8:35. If he's data mining, he's a might fast digger.

I just mined the latest book in 32 seconds flat - it's really quite simple. Anyone want me to PM them the grade (after they have submitted of course) just let me know.

So, according to you, was your guess correct?

This might be the first non cheerful post Jon has ever posted...

I'm quoting it in a special color to memorialize it...

Vince tried to explain to me what data mining is...I still have no idea, and I agree with Hellblazer, had I gone with my first guesses on a lot of these, I'd be doing better (esp on the Avengers #4, lol) but I'm always terrified of overgrading, so I second guess myself...

PLUS I don't know what I'm doing on really high grade books, but this has really been educational, I've learned a lot and it's

been a lot of fun...even JoeCollector's posts...never heard of "data mining" for comics before..

Came back 4.0 doh!

You're wasting your time. Trying to change JC's mind is akin to trying to convince Galactus not to eat your planet. If you're Reed Richards, you have a shot, if you aren't, you're screwed.

:roflmao:

This might be the first non cheerful post Jon has ever posted....

lol Just wait until I'm sleep-deprived and changing diapers at 4 AM. You may see a lot more posts like this!

You'll be too tired to post, lol... :baiting:

Besides, it only lasts a few weeks;) just SEEMS like forever;)