• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most annoying lowball offer you've received on a book?

80 posts in this topic

I generally decline politely unless someone gets testy or if I feel they are being dishonest (maybe disingenuous is a better word) and then I'll put on my snarky hat.

lol

And cape too!

roy-thor.jpg

:baiting:

Shortly after the Mighty Thor fell to the dark side of Midgard, dying his flowing locks brown, smoking crack cocaine, and hanging around local pubs. Was a dark time for Asgards prince, Odin was very sad indeed..

Hey, Halloween 2006. I don't need excuses.

Now the Chuck Norris wanna-be in the back ground got his azz whooped...just like it would happen in real life.

:insane:

I'd never pay that much for a Conan 9.8

Look, I lowball all the time. Just ask LordRahl, for example. My favorite ARROGANT LOWBALLER annoyed me, not because of the less than 50% offer, but because he was ARROGANT.

Are you crazy?!? I would never pay that much for a Conan #1 9.8 either! It's just a children's magazine you dolt! I'll trade you a coupon for a half prize dinner at Sizzler for it. PM if interested. I have other coupons available as well... :popcorn:

I had a very famous dealer try to talk down the price on my AF #15 CGC 6.5 (Universal label) by trying to convince me that it's trimmed.

meh

:o Very famous dealer? That doesn't bode well for the hobby when someone like that would be trying to scam someone out of a book of that caliber! Wonder who it was? hm

In all honesty, if Roy doesn't want to post who it was, I can understand that. I don't know if I qualify or not as a famous dealer, but I would appreciate if he would tell who it wasn't.

hm If I remember correctly there was a thread about this where the dealer was outed. I seem to recall this was a book Roy had listed on eBay.

It was Gerry Ross. He did something similar to Bob Storms around the same time.

(thumbs u

uhhh, if that is correct, then the word you are searching for is INfamous, not famous

Is that 1000 000 comix?

I generally decline politely unless someone gets testy or if I feel they are being dishonest (maybe disingenuous is a better word) and then I'll put on my snarky hat.

lol

And cape too!

roy-thor.jpg

That woman in the background is making this a good "caption this photo" pic.

My most annoying deal was a trade. His books were graded very high with obvious defects and priced high. Upon looking over my books he began nit picking about every little defect he could find on my books, and I reminded him that I have priced my books very fair, I even undergraded on the price i assigned.

I was holding his Spider-man 14, which he had graded a 6.0, in general it looked no better than a 4.0-maybe 4.5 and as I listened to him picking apart a 7.0 book I see a ripple on the cover just under the Green Goblin which is an obvious stain of some kind and instantly no longer even want his book. It just irritated me to no end that he was trying to pass off a 2.5 as a 6.0, yet had the audacity to complain about a very tightly graded and well priced book.

I politely asked for my books, put them back in my shortbox and left.

I never dealt with him again.

Look, I lowball all the time. Just ask LordRahl, for example. My favorite ARROGANT LOWBALLER annoyed me, not because of the less than 50% offer, but because he was ARROGANT.

Are you crazy?!? I would never pay that much for a Conan #1 9.8 either! It's just a children's magazine you dolt! I'll trade you a coupon for a half prize dinner at Sizzler for it. PM if interested. I have other coupons available as well... :popcorn:

IS THE SIZZLER COUPON STILL ON ITS WAY BACK FROM THE COUPON COMPANY BUT YOU'RE OFFERING IT NOW ANYWAY? SCANS TO FOLLOW LATER?

How about a highball offer...

I had a boardie tell me he would sell me a modern CGC 9.6 for 80% more ($100) than what the last copy sold for on ebay ($20). Or If I wanted to trade him a 9.8 or two for it, he'd do that.

Um.

That's 400% more.

;)

IS THE SIZZLER COUPON STILL ON ITS WAY BACK FROM THE COUPON COMPANY BUT YOU'RE OFFERING IT NOW ANYWAY? SCANS TO FOLLOW LATER?

lol

Different topic altogether, but yeah...that annoys the living out of me too.

I tend to get a lot of low ball offers. I actually don't mind them most of the time and accept a good number of them.

However, I did get one about a year ago from a boardie that was for like .10 cents on the dollar for all the books in my thread. That one got under my skin.

Was that from dekeuk...something-or-other? (shrug)

Renowned shyster, if so. (thumbs u

lol

Different topic altogether, but yeah...that annoys the living out of me too.

There is a whole string of ironies in play here.

1) I have discussed my ARROGANT LOWBALLER with you via PM before; though not on the subject of lowballs, arrogant or otherwise.

2) I have offered books for sale before that weren't in-hand. Once. It was with the Conan 9.8.

3) Can't publish the other folderol.

Lowballs are a rite of passage. I have received some. They were all polite and they were all politely refused. I was surprised, although I shouldn't have been, that I got lowballs for my last low price blowout thread where i had some books already listed for less than slabbing costs.

Lowballs are a rite of passage. I have received some. They were all polite and they were all politely refused. I was surprised, although I shouldn't have been, that I got lowballs for my last low price blowout thread where i had some books already listed for less than slabbing costs.

Your are now going to be a target of all my lowball ire. I call them -- angryballs.

Your are now going to be a target of all my lowball ire. I call them -- angryballs.

Rub them with soothing balms and unguents and they shall be angry no more.

Rub them with soothing balms and unguents and they shall be angry no more.

There is unction in your unction.

How about a highball offer...

I had a boardie tell me he would sell me a modern CGC 9.6 for 80% more ($100) than what the last copy sold for on ebay ($20). Or If I wanted to trade him a 9.8 or two for it, he'd do that.

Um.

That's 400% more.

;)

Guess I should have said 80$ instead of 80%

lol

And cape too!

roy-thor.jpg

That woman in the background is making this a good "caption this photo" pic.

You look like the dude playing the clarinet(or whatever it was) in Serendipity