• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most annoying lowball offer you've received on a book?

80 posts in this topic

I was clearing out some of my PM's today and came across 1 making me an offer on one of my higher end books for sale a few weeks back. I dont mind usually getting lowballed but for some reason, this one really rubbed me the wrong way with how it was worded.

Without giving too many specifics, basically it was for a partial trade. He wanted me to sell my book for basically the alltime GPA low sale but wanted me to credit him about 15% higher than the highest EVER recorded GPA sale for his book.

The worst part was the previous GPA high for his book was from like 4 years ago, and the book had been steadily dropping since then. The 12 month average was about half of what he wanted me to give him for his book :ohnoez:

I was clearing out some of my PM's today and came across 1 making me an offer on one of my higher end books for sale a few weeks back. I dont mind usually getting lowballed but for some reason, this one really rubbed me the wrong way with how it was worded.

Without giving too many specifics, basically it was for a partial trade. He wanted me to sell my book for basically the alltime GPA low sale but wanted me to credit him about 15% higher than the highest EVER recorded GPA sale for his book.

The worst part was the previous GPA high for his book was from like 4 years ago, and the book had been steadily dropping since then. The 12 month average was about half of what he wanted me to give him for his book :ohnoez:

:sniff, sniff:

Smells familiar. hm

What is your favorite lowball offer that you've ever received? :popcorn:

lol

Probably the same one! I gotta admit, it was pretty ballsy!

The amount he wanted me to give him for his book was SHOCKING! Even a few years ago, i wouldnt have considered paying what he wanted at the books peak. Now though, like i said, the recent sales were barely HALF what he wanted for it.

I could have EASILY gotten his book in about 10 different places for at least $500 less, EASILY!

I thought my offer of a Spawn #1 in CGC 9.2(slight) with C/OW pages was a very fair offer for your Batman 3 (shrug)

:jokealert:

I offer $250 shipped

I will need to get it re-graded.

Also get it pressed.

In theory i am spending $$$ to possibly get a deal here.

Sounds very familiar.

I had a very famous dealer try to talk down the price on my AF #15 CGC 6.5 (Universal label) by trying to convince me that it's trimmed.

meh

I thought my offer of a Spawn #1 in CGC 9.2(slight) with C/OW pages was a very fair offer for your Batman 3 (shrug)

:jokealert:

Spawn 1?????

Thats an interesting offer! lol Unfortunately, i already have WAY too many Spawn 1's. I was at my LCS Sunday with my 6 year old and he saw a Spawn 1 and wanted me to buy it for he. I shamefully informed him that i have PLENTY of copies i could give him at home :blush:

No, i actually had pretty good offers on my Batman 3 but didnt want to let it go for less than i was asking. Almost all of the offers i had on my Bat3 were pretty fair

I offer $250 shipped

I will need to get it re-graded.

Also get it pressed.

In theory i am spending $$$ to possibly get a deal here.

I kept the above PM for hilarity's sake. Book was offered at $340 and sold for $320.

Now that sounds familiar!

I got the EXACT same PM on my last sales thread.

I'd never pay that much for a Conan 9.8

Look, I lowball all the time. Just ask LordRahl, for example. My favorite ARROGANT LOWBALLER annoyed me, not because of the less than 50% offer, but because he was ARROGANT.

I had a very famous dealer try to talk down the price on my AF #15 CGC 6.5 (Universal label) by trying to convince me that it's trimmed.

meh

:o Very famous dealer? That doesn't bode well for the hobby when someone like that would be trying to scam someone out of a book of that caliber! Wonder who it was? hm