• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Grade This Book?

43 posts in this topic

I would definitely NOT restore it.

This book does not have any flaws that are causing further deterioration of the book. Pieces missing do not suddenly spread to include more pages. Inside its CGC holder and kept cool and dark this book will look the same 7 years from now as it does today.

So the restoration to improve this book's eye appeal can be done ANY time. If the market is better for restored books five years from now the restoration can be done then. If anything, resto techniques will have improved over today's methods. (As anyone who had books 'cooked' at the 1976 San Diego show can attest). So in a choice between restoring it today or in 2006 the choice is pretty clear. And clearly, if the market for resto books tumbles even further you would much rather have the book in its original condition.

The question would be different if the book was suffering from mildew or rust. Those conditions can spread and cause further damage to the book. So preservative restoration might very well be in order. But with pieces missing? Leaving the book untouched for now is best...

I can't agree with you more about leaving this book unrestored. Some people like restoration and some do not. You have a unrestored comic regardless of the market for restored comics and where they go in the future. I can't speak for everyone, but I have seen that most restored Silver Age do not sell well. Granted, key issues sell because of their demand. I would leave it alone and if you ever want to just upgrade later on.