• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would You Grade This Book?

43 posts in this topic

This is a CGC graded book. Take your guesses and I'l let you know what CGC graded it. The pics are big, but that file sizes are small. The "light" at the bottom of the back scan is from the scanner, not the book.

xmen2.jpg

xmen2b.jpg

does the book have some resto on it?

reason i ask is that there a couple of lighter sections on back that look like pieces added.

assuming though that it is not restored, i would grade it at a GD/VG at best, given the defects visible in the scan (piece missing top left being the major).

Without those missing pieces this would be ..ee..about F/VF 6.5- 7.0 ?

Hmm..but how much those pieces effect..maybe 3 points...

so my guess at final grade= 3.5-4.0= G/VG

I have a few questions to ask before making an educated guess.

1.) Is the book bright and glossy (as far as Silver Age books go)?

2.) Looking at the scans I cannot see any surface wear, so how much surface wear would you say the book has?

3.) How about page suppleness, are the inside pages tan, cream, off-white?

4.) looking at the front of the book the top left corner appears to have a missing piece (infamous Marvel chipping?) looking at the back scan, it appears to be a couple of stains from a spill rather than a missing piece. Is that an accurate description of the back?

IF the book is bright, glossy, has almost NO surface wear, and the only flaws are what can be seen in the scan, then because of the severity of those flaws, I would guess a 4.0.

"looking at the front of the book the top left corner appears to have a missing piece (infamous Marvel chipping?) "

lol......there is no way you can put a piece that big down to marvel chipping grin.gif

marvel chipping occurs on along the right hand edge of a book and is the product of marvels inferior trimming system in the silver age.

this book does not have marvel chipping, but has a piece ripped/torn from the corner.