• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EIDES ff's bring big $$$

102 posts in this topic

you didn't answer my question sonny boy? WHAT do you own?

I forgot to mention i also own ANOTHER 9.4 AF #15 and ANOTHER ASM #1 9.6.

do you own an ROM #1?

Also why should i bid on it when i already own a 9.6 fool?

BSD's are not just about who has the biggest or the best but the ability to come in and buy. Every hobby has them, for you to paint Comic BSD's any different makes me wonder why?

I don't think most people have any problem with these so-called "BSDs" spending lavish sums on comics. What's annoying is when they, the dealers who sell to them and the sycophants who worship them through a non-stop circle jerk ritual on the Boards, seem to think that spending big money on and owning a bunch of plastic-slabbed funny books somehow gives them the right to condescend to everyone else (which is particularly amusing since, not to name names, it appears that a number of people in all 3 of the above categories aren't even self-made men).

As a collector, of course I think owning nice comics is a cool thing, but in the larger scheme of things, it should earn you a title closer to "King of the Dip$" rather than "BSD". 27_laughing.gif All anyone is asking for is a bit of perspective. Everytime I see a thread titled something like, "JPTheMint Does It Again!" I immediately cringe and reach for my handy air-sickness bag, because I know another BSD-worshipper stroke-fest is about to get underway. insane.gif

Which is spending disposable money on what brings them enjoyment.

Again, I have no qualms with people spending money on what they want to (I gave my friend DAM60 a bit of hell on another thread, but that's only because I know him personally). However, it strikes me as curious that so many non-wealthy, non-BSD collectors are willing to spend such large amounts on comics and adamantly defend this practice, when that amount of money could practically fund a "James Bond-ian" lifestyle such as I detailed in the example that Captains_Of_Industry cited above. To each his own, but between owning a bunch of slabs that collect dust in a closet or basement and living the high life, it's clear to this collector which spending and lifestyle choice is "cooler" and more worthy of imitation and idolatry. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gene

Gene, I generally have great respect for the economic realism of your postings. However, I think it is incredibly bad form to start imposing your values on the rest of us. The "James Bond-ian" lifestyle you advocate has absolutely zero attraction to me, and for anyone to tell me that spending money to fund some kind of Robin Leach lifestyle is somehow superior to spending money to buy a comic is incredibly presumptuous. I would certainly never presume to come onto some designer goods board to lecture them that they're shallow and vacuous and the expensive shoes/purses/etc. that they're purchasing depreciate in value the moment they leave the store and therefore they would be better off buying comic books or some other sort of collectible.

Finally, I think your and COI's attacks on Doc are unwarranted. His thing is tracking big transactions, and he likes to post about them because he likes to talk about them. What's wrong with that and why does that make him sycophantic? Perhaps some of us like hearing about big deals and hearing from big collectors to figure out who the players are, where the books are, and generally gain more insights into the hobby, which will help us improve our own collections. News flash, a lot of BSDs actually know a lot about comics! If the discussions in these particular threads make you nauseous, well, don't open them.

Gene

Gene, I generally have great respect for the economic realism of your postings. However, I think it is incredibly bad form to start imposing your values on the rest of us. The "James Bond-ian" lifestyle you advocate has absolutely zero attraction to me, and for anyone to tell me that spending money to fund some kind of Robin Leach lifestyle is somehow superior to spending money to buy a comic is incredibly presumptuous. I would certainly never presume to come onto some designer goods board to lecture them that they're shallow and vacuous and the expensive shoes/purses/etc. that they're purchasing depreciate in value the moment they leave the store and therefore they would be better off buying comic books or some other sort of collectible.

Finally, I think your and COI's attacks on Doc are unwarranted. His thing is tracking big transactions, and he likes to post about them because he likes to talk about them. What's wrong with that and why does that make him sycophantic? Perhaps some of us like hearing about big deals and hearing from big collectors to figure out who the players are, where the books are, and generally gain more insights into the hobby, which will help us improve our own collections. News flash, a lot of BSDs actually know a lot about comics! If the discussions in these particular threads make you nauseous, well, don't open them.

here - here!!! - well said.................. thumbsup2.gif

Well I bought the FF 12 and I paid more than I wanted to - but that book is impossibe along the lines of high grade JiM 89, ToS 49, Spidey 11. FF 12 in 9.0 or ebtter comes around about once per year. There is the 9.4 at Metro that has been there a year so I guess no one thinks $22,000 is fair? There has been the 9.2 on ebay originally sold by comgeek to g.bjur 2 years ago for $5500. I have tried twice to buy that book from bjur and he is an fing ahole - I won't get into the details but it wasn't good! Anyway the price on that book is somewhere around $10k. The prices on the 10 and 16 were healthy but not out of whack - I got 9.2s last year for about half what those 9.4s went for - but the price on the 25 9.2 was definitely insane. I had to have the 12 though - it was in a grade that i collect in and have been searching for a high grade copy forever but in no way do I feel like I got a deal. Anyway, to the more fun part of this threa - BSDs. It seems if some folks can't express their Leader-like intellect on the subject of the crash, they can impart their wisdom about the wealthy wannabes who foolishly waste their money on purty funny books. I think some folks have the misconception that these BSDs have a Spidey 1 9.4 and live in a double wide and eat 3 meals a day at mickey ds and drive a Yugo. I don't think things could be further from the truth. I think the guys that collect stuff like that are super competitive, have plenty of disposable income and lead pretty good lifestyles. They just aren't on here flapping their gums about it for your benefit. High prices on books like this keep the "hobby" exciting to a degree - and if you have the money to play, it can be an interesting game. So I think that it is possible to eat your cake and have FF 12 too.

There has been the 9.2 on ebay originally sold by comgeek to g.bjur 2 years ago for $5500. I have tried twice to buy that book from bjur and he is an fing ahole - I won't get into the details but it wasn't good!

27_laughing.gif damn BSD! mad.gif who says comic collectors are nice? makepoint.gifdevil.gif

Anyway, to the more fun part of this threa - BSDs. It seems if some folks can't express their Leader-like intellect on the subject of the crash, they can impart their wisdom about the wealthy wannabes who foolishly waste their money on purty funny books.

Hmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess I am an attorney before a comic book collector - and i can be nice when so ordered by someone in a black robe - or paid enough. But that deal I had on the Ff12 9.2 was enough to drive the nicest person you can imagine over the edge. I had about 3 different deals agreed to by him and he kept changing it and increasing the price!

Quite crass, but then again...look back at who baited him! 27_laughing.gif He could draw Mother Teresa into a petty argument. devil.gif

Depends on your interpretation of "baited". If I remember correctly, he jumped in with both feet without being called out wahtsoever....

In fact wasn't that one of his only contributions to this Forum?

Jim

Quite crass, but then again...look back at who baited him! 27_laughing.gif He could draw Mother Teresa into a petty argument. devil.gif

Depends on your interpretation of "baited". If I remember correctly, he jumped in with both feet without being called out wahtsoever....

In fact wasn't that one of his only contributions to this Forum?

Jim

For the record....it was that thread that inspired this:

>. We have seen through the guise15_1_114.gif, and now understand that the BSD10_3_10.gif ...is in truth...just the opposite.10_12_3.gif

All I can say is that I am glad to finally have a copy in 9.0 - and the book better look better in person than it did in the scan. I have bought a lot of books from them though and the books have always looked better in person before so..

Yup, 25 and you know it all. In 25 years I'm sure you will be collecting something to relive your youth. BSD's are not just about who has the biggest or the best but the ability to come in and buy. Every hobby has them, for you to paint Comic BSD's any different makes me wonder why?

news.gif Why do you think I'm on these boards in the first place? Because I collect. I have spent over 5 figures on my collection so far, so I don't have any trouble understanding the desire to collect. I've even done business with you on high grade books a few times, not that you would take any notice, so why would I question anyone's intention to collect?

I'll say it again; my first post was a joke. Your rant and raves section of your website is designed to poke fun at the hobby as a joke. Is it ok for you to Joke, but not ok for me?

I wasn't insulting all BSD's or their motives. But *certain* BSD's seem to have this impression that if you aren't like them, you're wishing you were like them. Everytime I express a view of the market that may be unfavorable to those who have a lot invested into the hobby, I get this same pathetic argument that I somehow wish I could spend 150K on an AF 15. The stupid thing is, no one really knows what I have or what I spend because I don't talk about it.

But I'm 25, so what do I know right? It's obvious to me that reading comprehension dosen't come with age, otherwise you may not have read something in my post that wasn't really there. If you have the money, do as you please with it, and enjoy. But don't beat others over the head with it, accusing them of being envious, just because they have a different opinion or view of the hobby.

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off, arguing with unreasonable people.

post deleted by CaptainsOfIndustry because he shouldn't have waisted his day off arguing with unreasonable people.