• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales To Astonish #62 splash page the Hulk in chains

9 posts in this topic

I liked the storyline from the early Hulk episodes in TTA.

Not a big fan of Roussos's inks, but the Ditko imagery is still there to admire.

I used to own the original end page art to the episode that preceded your splash.

Traded it away to Mike Burkey some years back.

Not a big fan of Roussos's inks, but the Ditko imagery is still there to admire.

I used to own the original end page art to the episode that preceded your splash.

I think there's no doubt that Ditko inking Ditko is the most satisfying but I find it hard to fault Roussos given that Ditko's pencils were usually sparse.

I am sure this Spider-man example is extreme given the understanding that Ditko was going to be the inker of his own work -- but he wasn't one for indicating spotting in his pencils.

DitkoPencilsASM31.jpgDitkoInksASM31.jpg

I think there's no doubt that Ditko inking Ditko is the most satisfying but I find it hard to fault Roussos given that Ditko's pencils were usually sparse.

I am sure this Spider-man example is extreme given the understanding that Ditko was going to be the inker of his own work -- but he wasn't one for indicating spotting in his pencils.

DitkoPencilsASM31.jpgDitkoInksASM31.jpg

Roussos's art, especially in the inking department, was often heavy-handed - irrespective of who he was inking.

I have two Ditko covers from 1966. One is inked by Sal Trapani (NUKLA # 4), the other by Rocke Mastroserio (CAPTAIN ATOM # 80) - and I'm happy with the results from both inkers.

ebeltw.jpg

CAPTAIN ATOM # 80 (April-May 1966)

ycmsm.jpg

NUKLA # 4 (September 1966)

If Ditko was inking Ditko (as in the ASM example you provide), there would have been no real need for tight pencils would there?

If Ditko was penciling for another's inks, perhaps the work would have been tighter (though I have read, somewhere, that the artist's later pencils were often very sparse)?

My understanding of Ditko's work on these early Hulk episodes was that it was over and above his normal workload - to help Stan Lee out with getting those books out on time/meeting deadlines.

A short while later, D*ck Ayers would ink one of the Ditko Hulk episodes (TTA # 65). That, to my mind, serves as a good example of how the right inker for Ditko can really complement the pencils (sparse or otherwise) and present a good combination of finished work.

As I say, I like the early Ditko Hulk episodes from TTA (irrespective of any shortcomings in the inking department) . . . and have even owned one of the Roussos-inked pages.

Still doesn't change anything, for me, sorry . . . I'm just not a fan of Roussos's inking style