• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Decent price?

48 posts in this topic

ASM #96 is a real tough (relative to books of the same vintage) squarebond in high grade, and i can't say that i've seen a 9.6 listed before.

i've seen a few 9.4's go for around $400, so with that in mind and if you are happy with the book (i would be, it's a beauty) then you got a great price. grin.gif

Ok, you want opinions and so here goes. The NM 9.4 Overstreet Price Guide value for a raw copy is $130. The price guide value is an AVERAGE, of what you would expect to pay...especially in a comic shop. The book you purchased is better than a 9.4, and if you multiplied guide value x2 or 200% of NM 9.4 value then the book is worth (to the right collector) $260. Let's say the cost of slabbing is $15-20, so according to 200% of NM 9.4 and slabbing costs the "value" is around $280 (to the right collector). So do I think that $535 for a CGC NM 9.6 copy of ASM # 96 is a decent price? NO WAY! I would much rather pay around $130 for a CGC NM 9.4 copy of the same book. A .2 difference in grade is very minor, and certainly not worth the difference in price. I could purchase roughly 700 raw VF-NM common Bronze/Modern books with the difference.

MOS, your multiples on this book are all very well, but there are only THREE copies of the book in cgc 9.6.

this is by no means a rare or low submission book (was the first marvel without the CCA approval and also has a GG cameo) so for there only to be three copies in cgc 9.6 means the book is tough in grade.

and we all know what happens to the price of books in hard-to-find super high grade. grin.gif

not saying i would pay over $500 for the book, but from a high grade collector like brian's POV he good a pretty good price on a tough book IMHO.

Right on! That is what I would call a good deal. Love the cover of that book BTW. I won a similar type of deal here is the link Amazing Spider-Man 135

But just to show the insanity of some people check out this auction for the same book in .4 better grade Same book .4 better

lol! laugh.gif That brings to my mind this phrase (I can't remember the source though) "Hey essay, don't you know I'm loco?"

Considering a 97 9.6 went for over 1k, I figured I could do 535 on the rarer 96 9.6

You can't really tell what the book looks like from the scan anyways, at least it's not as ugly as that Batman book though!

Brian

Can't go wrong for a slabbed 9.2 Horror book under guide! HAHAHAH. I also bought 2 other books from them since they offer free shipping for your first transaction correct??? confused.gif Either way s/h is cheap through heritage, but by the looks of their feedback...all it say is "SLOW SHIPPING SLOW SHIPPING SLOW SHIPPING!" tongue.gif

Problem is, you wouldn't be able to buy a 9.4 copy for $130. Probably closer to $250. So a 9.6 copy should be worth at least $400.

It all depends on the state of the comic book market at a given time, because it does change. One of the reasons for people paying 2x or more of guide value here recently is because CGC has only been around for 2 years, and collector's are anxious to have the best copies now, and CGC gives them confidence in the grade, and they can feel good knowing they own an unrestored copy. I would expect that as time passes many more copies of the book will show up on the census, and as the supply increases, competition for the same books will not be as tough. My philosophy is this: If I can NOT get a book for the price I want, then I'll "settle" for a slightly lesser grade, at a slightly lesser price. In the case of this book I would go for a NM 9.2 for $120 or less as Ricky's example shows. Thankfully, I'm not obsessed with owning the best copies of a book, like some of my crazy brothers in the hobby. laugh.gif

Murph,

You got a good price considering that a 9.4 went for $610 in May at the height of the craze. The book would have went for more if the title weren't labeled wrong. I would have bid, and I would have been willing to pay more than $535 for sure. Out of the 3 drug books this is the toughest to find in super high grade, and not just based on the census numbers. I've had and found tons of unslabbed NM #98's in recent months, but can never seem to find #96 in above VF/NM(unslabbed).

I suspect any other high grade CGC Spidey collector would tell you the same.