• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC and Phoenix show????????

93 posts in this topic

Here is my con "report"

I attended this show to accomplish a few things.

1) Submit some books to CGC. I submitted a FF #49, Ultimate Spidey #1 (White Cover), and a Ultimate Spidey #1 (Dynamic Forces Variant)

2) Get a sketch cover done by Mark Texeria (Pic Below)

3) Met up with Mr. Not So Nice and pick up some books that I bought a while back. (He was actually really nice) He also has me wanting to buy some OA now... (all I need is more expensive stuff to collect)

4) Find some good deals on some trades for new stuff to read. Picked up $100 worth of hard covers for $35.

5) Get my copy of Chew Vol. 1 signed by Rob Guillroy and John Layman. Rob was being interviewed at the time but still took the time to sign my book and I was able to sit and chat with John for a bit. Great guy and really appreciative of his fans. I am stoked that they are making this series into a show to be aired on Showtime.

This is my 4th comicon (all AZ cons) and I have to say that this was by FAR the coolest one I have attended. Like everyone stated, Saturday was insane. Luckily I had an exhibitor badge so I was able to bypass the line getting into the main hall (Thanks Ed!)

Here is the commissioned piece I got done by Mark Texeria. Not the nicest guy in the world but he did a nice job on my book. Book is on it's way to Sarasota for grading.

GhostRider.jpg

I had more fun at this con hanging out with boardies and old friends than I did buying or looking for anything. I hope to be able to meet up with new and old board members again next year :D

Had a GREAT time at the show.

1) Was great to meet some boardies(Freakster, BeachBum, Robocard, (and the lurker who's i.d. I forget))

2) If you wanted sketches/signatures this was the place to be. A lot of BIG TIME talent sitting at tables with no lines!

3) Only noticed 3 or 4 comic dealers (Robocard always had a crowd at his booth, CONGRATS). I wans't looking for comics, didn't pay much attention.

Here is the line to get passes on preview night

th_DSCF1681.jpg

And the line to get in the show on Thursday night

th_DSCF1682.jpg

After I got my guest pass my friend Chris Herndon hooked me up with a dealer pass and got me in a couple of hours early.

th_DSCF1683.jpgth_DSCF1684.jpg

This was not the biggest attendee I saw :(

th_DSCF1686.jpg

Randomness:

th_DSCF1687.jpgth_DSCF1688.jpgth_DSCF1689.jpg

Douglas doing a sketch, and again, I almost lost my trophy wife :mad:

th_DSCF1712.jpgth_DSCF1713.jpgth_DSCF1715.jpg

Manning the ARSENIC LULLABY booth while Doug takes a break

th_DSCF1716.jpgth_DSCF1717.jpg

Inside ROBOCARD's booth watching a master salesman at work

th_DSCF1718.jpg

While on the phone I noticed this girl lugging around a large "rock" She was dressed in what looked like a midevil times crusader's outfit. She was making laps around this huge display for hours on end, being overly dramatic as kids will do. When she noticed me taking pictures she really hammed it up. I don't know what her deal was, but it was fascinating to watch. My guess is she was doing penance for something (shrug)

th_DSCF1719.jpgth_DSCF1720.jpgth_DSCF1721.jpgth_DSCF1722.jpg

Inside the CARNAL COMICS booth :blush:

th_DSCF1723.jpgth_DSCF1724.jpg

THE SHOW SUCKED WIND FOR SOME OF US OLD BOOK EXHIBITORS. I WAS STUCK IN THE BACK. THE PROMOTER TOLD ME IT WAS A COMIC SHOW. OK, TERRYS COMICS WITH SIDE KICK PHIL!,ED,AND MYSELF. WHAT KIND OF COMIC SHOW WAS THAT?

SO ALL THE PEOPLE WERE THERE SAT AND IT WAS A GHOST TOWN THURS NITE(? PREVIEW NITE..WHO ARE THEY KIDDING?),FRI AND SUNDAY.

SO IF YOU WANT OLD BOOKS THIS IS NOT THE SHOW FOR YOU.

Attendance for the 2011 Phoenix ComicCon came in at 23,000, up from close to 14,000. There are lots of things to like or dislike about the show; however, you cannot dispute that they brought in the people and some big names this year. I will be back next year with over 100 long boxes again. If I do half as well as I did this year, it would still be one of my best shows. Hope to see some of you next year Memorial Day week-end.

Ed Robertson