• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leadpink - ebay production (!) art

35 posts in this topic

As I posted in the other thread ... I will post it here as well ...

"Ummm - as an artist that makes their own prints and using transparency printing for my sculptures ... exactly *how* are you guys authenticating this??

I can print anything in the WORLD on a transparency sheet after all ....

I mean, all it would take would be a nice scan of the image, drop out the whites, and then print on a transparency sheet .... unless I'm missing how this is a part of the comic process ..."

Can we make this a sticky since it links to several threads about this guy over a period of time. I tried like heck to get any answer out of him about where they are from and he gave me none. There is no doubt in my mind that he is either making them or having them made.

James G

That's what I'm thinking too.

About 5 weeks ago someone left a negative feedback:

Reproduction Fake Junk. Not Vintage Misleading Auction Descriptions. Buyer: Member id jgallo ( Feedback Score Of 6526) Aug-05-11 07:28

■Reply by leadpink (Sep-04-11 17:10):

Not True Over 2200+ Sales To Auction Houses,Dealers,Collectors,And Comic Artists

John Romita Spider Man # 44 Rare Production Art Page 1 (#270776867330) US $52.00

Here he claims it to be authentic.

2306 sales of homemade junk-and counting *khaachingg*

I feel a bit sorry for the people bidding on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Steranko-Captain-America-111-Production-Art-Cover-/270824393748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e644c14

Hopefully someone that has purchased this stuff before will stumble on this thread.

This is just nuts. A four color overlay? If this ever had been the actual overlay proof in the actual printing process, it would have been overlays of c-m-y-k. A composite overlay for a higher-end press would have been laminated, and would not be a clear piece attached to a white background. Before I decommissioned this part of my business four years ago, I could have made these all day long. I could have also easily faked those to look legitimate (this one doesn't even try).

It would have been highly unlikely that real, vintage color-key proofs would have survived without turning yellow or fading. Why? These would have been made using a cold-water bath in the developing process. Archival standards, which were usually only used for government work, would have entailed setting up a processor with a calibrated, heated bath. I wasn't there, so I can only speak logically on this, but it would have made no sense for web presses to have an archival processor for something they were going to throw away anyway.

Buy this stuff if you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking you have something that was used in the process. If you want pretty colors, knock yourself out, but in terms of the original art food pyramid, these are the plastic wrap on Twinkies.

Can we make this a sticky since it links to several threads about this guy over a period of time. I tried like heck to get any answer out of him about where they are from and he gave me none. There is no doubt in my mind that he is either making them or having them made.

James G

That's what I'm thinking too.

About 5 weeks ago someone left a negative feedback:

Reproduction Fake Junk. Not Vintage Misleading Auction Descriptions. Buyer: Member id jgallo ( Feedback Score Of 6526) Aug-05-11 07:28

■Reply by leadpink (Sep-04-11 17:10):

Not True Over 2200+ Sales To Auction Houses,Dealers,Collectors,And Comic Artists

John Romita Spider Man # 44 Rare Production Art Page 1 (#270776867330) US $52.00

Here he claims it to be authentic.

2306 sales of homemade junk-and counting *khaachingg*

Umm yea that was men :-D

Would you believe he had the gaul to refund me and then ask me to change the feedback.

I just followed up to his feedback with this thread.... Not that it will matter. I did get contacted by a couple of people but most of his business is repeat buyers who either don't know or don't care.

James G

I feel a bit sorry for the people bidding on this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jim-Steranko-Captain-America-111-Production-Art-Cover-/270824393748?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0e644c14

Hopefully someone that has purchased this stuff before will stumble on this thread.

Buy this stuff if you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking you have something that was used in the process. If you want pretty colors, knock yourself out, but in terms of the original art food pyramid, these are the plastic wrap on Twinkies.

:signfunny: ]

Glad I double checked the old threads to see if anyone ever bought from this guy. I was about to bid on this Silver Surfer 'production art'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Buscema-Silver-Surfer-5-Rare-Production-Art-Pg-31-/270972109089?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f17324121#ht_8683wt_1413

I guess no one knows how he is creating this art, yet it seems clear he is creating it himself. He claims its his collection and that its expanded by buying other collections, but that sounds dubious.

Seems to me he probably just has a nice printer and prints out these things on transparencies from scans he obtains. He has it pretty good actually. He can sit home, search through pages of comic books, find interesting ones he likes, print them out, and sell them for decent prices.

Yet, if he was clear these were merely reproductions he made himself, I might buy some at cheap prices just to hang up. Yet, I feel he's trying to rip people off, by implying these are real production art used in the making of the original comic.