• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATED POLL, which is the best SA Marvel superhero title?

The best SA Marvel superhero title  

459 members have voted

1. 1. The best SA Marvel superhero title

69 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four

Journey Into Mystery

Amazing Spiderman

FF, the first and the greatest, Lee and Kirby at the top of their game. Cosmic hoo-hah plus a real family that bickered and fought, and sometimes went storming out to cool off. Real life mirrored in a fantastically entertaining series.

Thor gets #2 for the sheer cosmic scope, with Lee dishing out faux mythology that really sang to me, and Kirby putting everything from mundane street scenes to...well, to the Entire Universe Plus Valhalla down on his bristol board for the world to share.

Amazing Spidey cops third, mostly for the 40+ stories by Lee and Ditko. Eerie, moody, sometimes downright creepy, and featuring the growth of a glasses-wearing nebbish into a truly heroic young man. Post-Ditko had some highlights too, including Gwen and Mary Jane, and the Kingpin...but much beyond issue 50 or so it got to be too soap opera for my taste.

Honorable mention:

Avengers

Issues 1 thru issue 60 or so. Some solid storytelling in there, and some nice art too. I don't care what anyone says, Don Heck on this title looks great! But not as consistantly entertaining as the three listed above

Strange Tales

Thing and Torch carrying on, FF guest appearances, eventually replaced with Nick Fury and the gang at SHIELD, great stuff! Plus the oddest take ever on magic, Ditko's Doctor Strange is just...awesome. But as mentioned above, any number of clinker villains, and some inconsistent storytelling keep this title out of the top tier