• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATED POLL, which is the best SA Marvel superhero title?

The best SA Marvel superhero title  

459 members have voted

1. 1. The best SA Marvel superhero title

69 posts in this topic

Is there really any chance that Spiderman is NOT going to win this?

It's more fun this way.

The alternative is having ASM and FF as the choices, and choosing one. :grin:

I agree and I think that maybe the fight for third place might be the most interesting part. Avengers followed by JIM are lookign strong with X Men trailing.

Also interesting to see that Strange Tales is the only title with no votes. It's always been my least favourite and I mainly just like some of the covers.

I just got done reading the first Strange Tales masterworks (Torch) and have to say I liked it a lot. The covers for most were great I agree, but the action was there too. I loved reading the early adventures of The Wizard and Paste Pot Pete and the banter between the two. Then you have the 3 issues in a row with awesome covers....Torch vs Cap (acrobat) Torch vs Sandman and then Torch vs Thing. All fun stories. Of course there is the Torch vs Subby issue too!

But then you have lame villians like the Acrobat, Asbesto's Man (come on Stan!) and the EEL kinda blew too. I just started reading the Dr. Strange 1st edition masterworks as well. So far so good.

I also like the early Ant-Man stories in TTA! :headbang:

I know Spidey will win but FF is the easy winner for me.

Evidence for the defence.

It was the first SA Marvel hero title.

Every new SA Marvel hero was crossed over into FF to promote sales of the character. Hulk in FF12, Antman in FF14, Sgt Fury in FF22, Avengers in FF25, Dr Strange in FF27, Xmen in FF28, DD in FF39.....bla blaa blaaa.

While Spideys villians were cool FF introduced characters that went beyond a superhero's typical antagonist. Silver Surfer, Galactus, Watcher, Inhumans, Black Panter, Submariner.

Spider-man is a great character but the entire SA Marvel Universe depended on FFs success and many of todays most popular characters were created in FFs pages.

All good reasons... but Spidey will win, even in the face of the above facts.

I was 10 when I started reading comics, and I started with the paperback late 70s Marvel reprints. Spidey, and his life, resonated with me. Peter Parker's personal life, school issues etc , hit closer to home than any of the FF's. I would assume that experience will have been the case for many other 8-14 year olds first getting into comics. 2c

I voted for FF, ASM and X-Men. I was introduced to the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run in the late 70s when I was a kid and quickly went back to gobble up any SA X-Men I could find as a result from my LCS. For me, I think the FF deserve to be #1 with Spidey a close second. Real tough to call. Both series had consistent, brilliant creative teams and introduced so many iconic villains and heroes that are still important in the tales produced by today's Marvel Bullpen. I loved the cosmic aspect of the SA FF though. I think that puts them over the top as #1. Galactus, Silver Surfer, Skrulls, Inhumans, Ronan, the list goes on and on. Those enemies (and friends) just made the 4 heroes and the book seem more important on a universal scale. It made it that much more exciting IMPO. Spidey was great, but he was fighting mainly thugs in New York, and I'm a Chicagoan. Just didn't seem as far-reaching and galaxy spanning as the FF for me, so I give them the nod.

I voted for FF, ASM and X-Men. I was introduced to the Claremont/Byrne X-Men run in the late 70s when I was a kid and quickly went back to gobble up any SA X-Men I could find as a result from my LCS. For me, I think the FF deserve to be #1 with Spidey a close second. Real tough to call. Both series had consistent, brilliant creative teams and introduced so many iconic villains and heroes that are still important in the tales produced by today's Marvel Bullpen. I loved the cosmic aspect of the SA FF though. I think that puts them over the top as #1. Galactus, Silver Surfer, Skrulls, Inhumans, Ronan, the list goes on and on. Those enemies (and friends) just made the 4 heroes and the book seem more important on a universal scale. It made it that much more exciting IMPO. Spidey was great, but he was fighting mainly thugs in New York, and I'm a Chicagoan. Just didn't seem as far-reaching and galaxy spanning as the FF for me, so I give them the nod.

:cloud9: .....the voice of reason is SO refreshing. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM

FF

Avengers

X-men was much easier to cull, considering the poll is silver age only :makepoint: .

If it was such a considerably valuable title during that period, then why, pray tell, did they have to resort to reprints in mid-stream, and ultimately a revamp. Methinks it would have been DOA... hard to fathom, eh? Now bronze age, is another story entirely of course --

talk about a resurrection.

Personally, I really liked Namor's journey/quest in TTA, but hey, I'm certainly in the minority there, and it still doesn't top the above three, IMO.

ASM and FF are really storming ahead now. Avengers and JIM are having a respectable showing but X Men are catching up with them now.

It's good to see some of the more obscure titles getting some votes, just because they weren't the most popular, doesn't mean they aren't someones favourites.

Even poor ol Sarge has got one vote.

The intention was to have a final round after this poll but I thnik that may be pointless. The results are looking pretty clear cut.

ASM, FF, & JIM.

ASM and FF are kinda tied for my first vote.

I will probably go with FF as it was a 102 issue run with all the great characters and stories as previously mentioned.

I really like those first 38 issues of Spidey, though. If it was ASM 1-38 vs. FF 1-38, I would choose ASM.